SASS Wire Forum

1858 Remingtons

Pit Bull Tex

Taylor has a 1858 remington 38 conversions.Has anyone tried them.I think I would like to have a pair.Anyone have any info on them?

PBT, if you're talking about the ones that are built as conversions, I've got a pair of Cimarrons (same guns - Ubertis) in .38 special with 7 3/8" barrels. Fun guns. They shoot to POA with my loads, and have a short hammer stroke. They worked quite well out of the box, for an old duffer like me.

I've got a shootin' buddy up at Oakwood (Little Bear Martin) that has a pair in 5 1/2" barrels and shoots exclusively black powder, and he seems to like his, too.

The only negatives I found was that the front site is narrow and sometimes hard to pick up, and the loading gate had some sharp edges from the factory that drew blood my first time out! Otherwise, good pistols. No regrets, I'd buy the pair again.

I did not find them on the Cimarron site,found them on the Taylor site.Found them on cimarron site for $75.00 more.Thanks LL

BTT

The 58 has a loading gate.They look like what I want. wish I could find some to shoot.

Russ, these aren't cap and ball pistols with a Kirst or R&D converter. These are built by Uberti as .38 specials with a loading gate and ejector. I know that both Taylor's and Cimarron import them.

http://www.cimarron-...ModArmyConv.htm

http://www.taylorsfi..._conversion.htm

Laz

PBT, if you ever make it over to the Thunder River Renegades in Magnolia, give me some warning and I'll bring mine to the match so you can play with them.

Laz

The 58 has a loading gate.They look like what I want. wish I could find some to shoot.

==========================================================

I ordered mine in .45 Colt from Ables in Texas, because Taylor's couldn't come up with one and I wasn't going to pay another $75 for the Cimarron version that is the same gun. It still took 4 months for Ables to get one, but it was well worth the wait. I wear mine cross-draw paired up with my 7 inch Schofield on the strong side.

I have the Taylor in 45, and love them,and shoot them the most. I have handled the 38s at a Taylor booth at a match and they are slightly heavier(less drilled out I guess). BTW- I have handled the cimarron and the hammer on the Taylor has a shorter pull, and is better to me. The only time I had a problem was when a screw in the cylinder back plate got loose and jammed the gun, tightened and kept going after that. The brass mostly falls out when unloading by tilting the gun backwards a little

Mike, I think you're looking at production line differences on the Cimarron and Taylor's guns. They're the same Uberti gun, regardless of the advertising copy.The only difference is roll stamp and price.

I would definitely try to find one to shoot, or at least feel, a bit before buying, if you are unfamiliar with the Remington grip. I have used the cap and ball '58s off and on for many years in matches and still consider their 'unique' grip to be their big downside for me and many seem to agree with this. That area behind the trigger guard is just not sculpted right or something, as I never feel that my shooting grip gets up in there just right. I do know that the re-engineered factory conversions do not always feel like the original black powder frame guns so perhaps these versions have been tweaked (improved) also? If not get someone to at least let you try out their cap and ball '58s to see how they feel in your hand before dishing out the big bucks.

I bought my pair from Taylor at Winter Range several years ago. They had a very nice shinny blue finish and shot well with both smokeless and Black. They are a little "front heavy" comparied to my ruger bisleys. I guess cuz of the longer barrel. I bought em for a military uniform (both Union and Confederate) I haven't had any trouble with them and shoot 158 grain bullets for both black and smokeless.

Pit Bull, I've been shooting the Taylors 38 conversions with the 5 1/2 " barrel for the last 3 years exclusively with APP, only problem is a been the broken hand spring on one. I've found I shoot better with the Rems then with Rugers. I think the grip angle works better for me then the Rugers. Personal preference. Also Taylors is excellent when you have a problem, not like some other importers.

Archived