SASS Wire Forum

The Green Machine Goes Green

Subdeacon Joe

Well done, Marines.

Early on in the fighting, First Lieutenant Josef Patterson, India 3/5’s second platoon commander, took a small force south to clear a route into the Sangin River Valley. They established a patrol base, but for two months the area remained so volatile that fuel convoys couldn’t reach it. Without fuel or battery resupply, the team could have been left with no way to run generators or power radios or computers—a potentially crippling situation. Even in smaller numbers, today’s -Marines are considerably more lethal than their predecessors, mostly due to the flexibility enabled by constant connectivity. As Patterson later explained, “If I don’t have comm with my troops and my higher-ups, I am lost.”

But the soldiers of India 3/5 had another source of power: the sun. Specifically, they had a ground-renewable expeditionary energy system (Greens): four portable modules that fold out into two large solar panels each, all connected to a power cell to store the energy overnight. During field operations away from the patrol base, each Marine also carried a solar portable alternative communications energy system (Spaces), an eight-square-inch flexible solar panel lightweight enough (about 2.5 pounds) to be rolled up and stowed in a pack. Normally, a patrol carries enough batteries to last three or four days—20 to 35 pounds for each grunt—and is dependent on frequent and dangerous resupplies. But with the packable solar panels, says Patterson, his patrol of 35 soldiers shed 700 pounds. “We stayed out for three weeks and didn’t need a battery resupply once,” he says.

That is a hell of a weight savings.

With the weight savings they could carry more ammo.

Youdamnbetcha..........

With the weight savings they could carry more ammo.

Extra ammo and water would sure be my choices. Bravo Zulu, Marines!

What next? A phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 wt range? :lol:

No solar powered equipment when I was in.

They hadn't invented sunlight yet. ;)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704810504576307563280615054.html

Somewhere I saw a photo of some with the small panels hung on the outside of their packs while they were on patrol, recharging their spares as they walked. I'll keep digging for it.

What next? A phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 wt range? :lol:

No solar powered equipment when I was in.

They hadn't invented sunlight yet. ;)

That's because you fought for the Dark Lords of The Sith..... :blink:

Archived