SASS Wire Forum

Need Info on Cimarron pistols

Cajun Calamity

I am new to SASS and need some opinions about the Cimarron 38 cal pistols. My husband is currently using the Vaquero 45 cal, and these tend to be a little much for me. I need some good information from anyone that has knowledge of the Cimarron brand handguns. Are they reliable, dependable and long lasting as the Vaqueros? Thanks for your help...Cajun Calamity

I love my model Ps.I put thunderstorm hammers on them and I love them.

You might get more responses if you posted this in the Wire section instead of the Classifieds, but to answer your question, Cimarron guns are usually well made. Cimarron is not actually a gun maker, they are a distributor, meaning the guns are made by someone else, usually Uberti.

As for which guns are better, that's a matter of personal preference. The Cimarron gun will be more traditional feeling, like an old Colt pistol. The Rugers are a modern design, not like Colts. Things will break occasionally on any gun, but Rugers are known for the way they will hold up.

The best advice I can give you is to try them both and see which guns you like better.

I ahve Rugers Vaqueros and Cimarron/Uberti Thunderer. Both models are good pistols. All Rugers are over-built, nearly indestructible and heavy. They do make a .32 H&R magnum that can be used with .32 S&W longs that are very common with women/children shooters with smaller hands.

The Ubertis are good guns, but the Colt action is not as durable. I carry a backup gun when using my Uberti's but not my Rugers.

Piettas are also Italtian Colt-copies. They have dramatically improved in the last couple of years.

For quite a few years Cimarron used Uberti as the primary supplier of the pistols they sold.Recently they also started using Pietta's.Both Italian made and both very good brands.I shoot both brands and as stated they are not as rugged as Rugers,but I like the way they feel in my hands better than Rugers.For me that's more important to have guns that "feel" right.

Archived