SASS Wire Forum

Stetson Hats?

DocWard

As I have been researching, trying to develop a "back story" I've learned that during the Civil War, Union hospital stewards (about the closest thing to a modern medic I can find) wore a cavalry hat with a buff and green or gold and green cord. I have been able to find the cords, but haven't had good luck with the hats, other than the modern ones with chin strap.

Fall Creek Suttlery has the slouch hats from the era. Would these be "period correct?" Are there other suggestions? I am not concerned so much about being perfectly correct, as I will probably never have suspenders, but I don't want to look like a total goof. I am picturing post civil war, but the cord left in place. Just curious.

http://fcsutler.com/fchats.asp#OfficersSlouch

One of those hats would be fine. As you probably know, the issue hat of the CW that the cord was worn with was the Hardee, a pretty goofy looking thing and not well liked by most. You seldom see pics of anybody wearing one post war The lower crowned slouch hat was a private purchase. They were more frequently worn by southern troops and western yanks.

One of those hats would be fine. As you probably know, the issue hat of the CW that the cord was worn with was the Hardee, a pretty goofy looking thing and not well liked by most. You seldom see pics of anybody wearing one post war The lower crowned slouch hat was a private purchase. They were more frequently worn by southern troops and western yanks.

Yeah, the best picture I have been able to find of a hospital steward is with a Hardee, not something I want to wear for CAS. I prefer the lower crowned slouch hat myself, but have also considered getting a pinch-front or even a more modern black cowboy hat and adding the cord as well. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, the best picture I have been able to find of a hospital steward is with a Hardee, not something I want to wear for CAS. I prefer the lower crowned slouch hat myself, but have also considered getting a pinch-front or even a more modern black cowboy hat and adding the cord as well. Decisions, decisions.

A modern hat will work if you replace the ribbon with a larger one and remove the rancher's crease. You'll have a cheap, reasonable facsimile of a period campaign hat that way.

Cheap hat.

A modern hat will work if you replace the ribbon with a larger one and remove the rancher's crease. You'll have a cheap, reasonable facsimile of a period campaign hat that way.

Cheap hat.

Ribbon and cord? Interesting, I need to look again at the pics. Not sure what Mrs. Doc would say about removing the crease. As a Quarter Horse rider / competitor, she might find the idea.... disconcerting. :unsure:

And here I was thinking the pinch front, like something John Wayne would wear was more correct, just like the Winchester '92s I guess...

Ribbon and cord? Interesting, I need to look again at the pics. Not sure what Mrs. Doc would say about removing the crease. As a Quarter Horse rider / competitor, she might find the idea.... disconcerting. :unsure:

And here I was thinking the pinch front, like something John Wayne would wear was more correct, just like the Winchester '92s I guess...

Anything John Wayne wore is correct. :lol:

River Junction has a proper issue hat.

Damn right! ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You got that right..... :FlagAm:

But you may want to check with

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

He has made hats for me.... a JOHN WAYNE model as well. B)

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

US Enlisted Uniform Dress Hats/lists hospital steward hat

Hey Doc

Shoot a P M to Blackwater Desperato , He can do most anything to a hat . He did a GREAT job on my Dads old hat . I am going to have him do the other 2 , hats I have of Dads .

I understand he also makes hats , I am thinking of having him do a New hat for me , good guy to know .

CB

..but I don't want to look like a total goof.

Why not? You'll have plenty of company! :lol:

+1 on Blackwater Desperado!

Top notch cowboy to deal with and has done a great job on my hats, including making me a Boss of the Plains from scratch. If he can't make it, you don't need it!

Why not? You'll have plenty of company! :lol:

If I want Mrs. Doc to ever come to a shoot with me, I need to look somewhat presentable!

Right now I am looking at inexpensive. When I can afford a good one, I will start making calls to the custom makers. I will be storing Blackwater Desperado's name in memory though!

If I want Mrs. Doc to ever come to a shoot with me, I need to look somewhat presentable!

Right now I am looking at inexpensive. When I can afford a good one, I will start making calls to the custom makers. I will be storing Blackwater Desperado's name in memory though!

I took a cheap wool Bailey (wool is correct for Army hats), and made the ribbon modification with Wal-mart ribbon. Already had the cord in my collection so the project was real cheap.

Archived