SASS Wire Forum

Agenda Item #1

PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

At a match last month we had a fellow that didn't show up but he didn't finish last! He's thinkin' maybe next month he'll sleep late, come shoot the last stage and see where he stands.

Olen :blink:

I'm wondering how that could happen if he didn't show up at all!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering how that could happen if he didn't show up at all!!!

He paid his entry fee.

There were other shooters who paid and didn't shoot.

His alias started with a letter higher up on the alphabet than the other DNF shooters.... or his SASS Badge # was lower than some of the other DND shootrers, so when the scoring sorting program did it's thing, he was higher up on the board. Just a theory.

He paid his entry fee.

There were other shooters who paid and didn't shoot.

His alias started with a letter higher up on the alphabet than the other DNF shooters.... or his SASS Badge # was lower than some of the other DND shootrers, so when the scoring sorting program did it's thing, he was higher up on the board. Just a theory.

1 and 3 I think.

Olen

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy All,

In case you haven't noticed, the Convention, and thus the TG Summit, is only 4 Weeks Away!

If you have not made the effort to do so, contact your TG and let them know your opinion on the five agenda items being voted on this year. All of the TG's I know vote the way thier club members want them to, regardless of their personal opinions on the items. Unfortunately many club members fail to let their TG's know what they want and then are unhappy with the results. Do your part and Vote!

This is a Non-Paid, Non-Political, Announcement,

Dogmeat Dad

P.S. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE TG's FOR THEIR HARD WORK!

Howdy folks. It's been a while since I've visited the forum. I see we still have the old rank score vs. total time debate going on. I was glad to see that someone finally mentioned that a 999 is not an appropriate penalty for a total time match.

I see both sides of the argument. I have seen heat overcome shooters to a point where they were unable to finish the match. But they didn't leave. They rested in the shade waiting for the awards. We should have compassion for those shooters. I have also seen shooters leave the match, not because they were unhappy, but because they had previous commitments and the match was going long. Perhaps we should have compassion for those shooters as well. After all it wasn't their fault the match went long. There are a lot of reasons why someone gets a DNF. And we want to be compassionate but the fact remains they did not finish.

I have also seen shooters who were slow enough that a DNF would have improved their total time (not under rank scoring but under total time scoring). That is basically anyone who shoots a 10-10-4 stage in over 150 seconds. It may have been hot. They may have had commitments. They may have been struggling with malfuncting equipment. But they stayed with it and finished. Perhaps we should applaud their perseverance.

I vote yes. I have never thought it fair that someone who doesn't finish a match place above someone who does. I cannot think of a single other sport where you can quit in the middle and still get an award.

So, I say leave it like it is or switch to Total Time Scoring. :ph34r:;)

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we found a winner. After all isn't this a timed sport?

Seriously I'm new here and don't grasp the value of the rank point system although I do know a lot of people that won't shoot a rank point match. I don't care how you score it, I still don't have a snowball's chance in Phoenix of winning...

Snowball....could be my new alias....nahhh

Yes! That's what I thought DNF meant. DID NOT FINISH. In a NASCAR race if the car doesn't cross the finish line or in a horse race if the horse crosses the finish line without a rider it can't win.

In a NASCAR race if the car doesn't cross the finish line or in a horse race if the horse crosses the finish line without a rider it can't win.

Nascar has many races thru the year, (call em stages), at the end of the year they are added up for points to see who wins the championship. So, tell me how much SASS and Nascar are different, or are they related in their way of scoring. That's what a SASS shooting match is, a group of individual stages added to make a match. If ya can't shoot em all ya can still win if ya were good enuf at what ya did shoot.

YES

Who knows what might happen during the next stages, a dropped gun, just poor shooting, a stage or match DQ.

I have been at a state match and two shooters just decided not to return the 2nd day. They still placed?

Finish the race.

So, I say leave it like it is or switch to Total Time Scoring. :ph34r:;)

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we found a winner. After all isn't this a timed sport?

Seriously I'm new here and don't grasp the value of the rank point system although I do know a lot of people that won't shoot a rank point match. I don't care how you score it, I still don't have a snowball's chance in Phoenix of winning...

Snowball....could be my new alias....nahhh

If you are scoring total time penalties correctly, it can happen under total time as well. Under total time the maximum penalty on a 10-10-4 stage is 150 seconds. That's 30 seconds plus 5 seconds for each target (RO I Handbook). Let's assume all stages are 10-10-4. A fast shoots shoots the first four stages in 30 seconds each and goes home taking a DNF on the last two stages. 30+30+30+30+150 +150 is 420 seconds. A slower shooter with some misses shoots all six stages in 75 seconds each. 75 x 6 is 450 seconds. The faster shooter who did not finish the total time match wins. The only reason people think total time fixes the problem is they are not scoring total time correctly. And, it not entirely their fault. Some of the scoring programs automatically put in a 999 for a total time DNF.

I have been at a state match and two shooters just decided not to return the 2nd day. They still placed?

Finish the race.

But, where did they place? Surely not at the top, lessen they were the only ones in their catagory. Everybody gotta finish somewhere, generally in the catagory they started in.

The 'race' is really 10 or 12 mini races added together. Not hard to figger out at all.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Let's say you are coming to my house in northeast Utah for a BBQ dinner. For whatever reason you don't leave home, or make it all the way and stop somewhere else... NO SHORT STACK OF T-BONES FOR YOU!! :blink:

And if this passes I will be glad to see the so and so didn't finish but still placed higher than me posts on the wire come to an end!!

Archived