SASS Wire Forum

Primer question..

Doc Cherokee, SASS#48332

Will primers explode if, say, they are in your house and it catches on fire? or do they have to be struck a blow in order to ignite?

Hmmmm. If I was a twelve-year old kid again, I'd just grin and say, "I dunno. Let's try it!" :P

Primers use black powder to function.

Tombstone, let me help you out what's in them brass cups with an anvil:

http://glarp.atk.com/2008/msds/Primers.pdf

http://www.federalpremium.com/resources/msds.aspx

Some companies even use glass & aluminum... but Black Powder? NO!

Thanks for the replies, I was 99.9% sure they would, just wanted to get a few confirmations..

Dumb question actually..One of those things in which ya just assume they would, but then someone asks if they do and ya can't say fer sure.. :unsure:

Hey John Boy

Thanks for the MSDS. I thought the ammo companies had stopped using Lead Styphnate in primers. I guess not.

By the way, Black Powder is used as an initiator in some artillery rounds, but not in small arms primers.

By the way, Black Powder is used as an initiator in some artillery rounds, but not in small arms primers.
Driftwood, concur - it's a fact.

And because it is a Federal DOD regulation that the powder has to be made in the United States ... that's the only reason, along with the blasting powder, that Hodgdon bought Goex. Then put it to the BP shooters by no longer producing: Cowboy - Cartridge and Express. But hold onto your suspenders cause they are coming out in January 2012 with some whiz bang-super duper BP that I'm sure they will hype is better than Swiss and now, the new 2010 lot of KIK. And it won't be cheap!

Edit: And it won't be made in Minden, LA at the Goex facility because Hodgdon fired nearly everyone there that knows how to make quality original 'sporting' gunpowder

Hey John Boy

Thanks for the MSDS. I thought the ammo companies had stopped using Lead Styphnate in primers. I guess not.

AS far as I know only the "NT" or range safe stuff is lead-free. PRIMER lead has closed many many good indoor ranges around here.

Archived