SASS Wire Forum

Cowboys and Indian Store

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

I've known about Jim Bowie and his store for a long time but until today have not had a reason to utilize his services. My Colt suddenly developed a problem where the bolt leg would slip off the hammer cam and lock up the gun. I called Jim on Wednesday, described the problem and he said to bring it in and he could probably fix it while I waited. I asked if he was open on Saturdays, as that is the best day for me to go into Orange County from where I live. He told me he is not open on Sats but normally would arrange to meet someone on that day if they could not get to his store during his regular business days (Mon-Fri), although he had a wedding to go to this Sat and could not meet me. I thought, what great customer service is that, that he would meet someone on his regular day off just to accomodate them. Anyway, I wanted to get my Colt fixed and made arrangements to go into OC on Friday (today). I stopped by and within an hour (much conversation about the good ol days of SASS and shared mutual friends) he had my Colt repaired and functioning better than before. He showed me how the original "tuner" had modified the front of the bolt, without paying attention to the legs, which is what eventually let to my problem. He also noted that the spring was too long and was interferring with the trigger. He fixed that as well. When all was done, he charged me what I thought was too little for his time and trouble. So, my boss of the plains is off to Jim Bowie and the Cowboys and Indian Store.

BTW, I never felt I had the need for a short stroke kit in my 66 and 73. I used to be fast and competitive, but no longer. Jim let me handle his personal 73 and all I can say is "oh sh*t", there goes another $400, man that rifle was sweet!

Wyatt

Jim is a #1 guy. He saved my hide this year at EOT!!! He always has time for ya, always.

Howdy,

Jim is a First class pard, and a great Gun Mech.

KK

Howdy,

Jim is a First class pard, and a great Gun Mech.

KK

+1

RR

Jim Bowie is one of the most creative, conscientious, and responsible gunsmiths I have ever know, His work is simply beyond critique. Great gunsmith, great guy. Pencils down.

Cheers,

FJT

Jim Bowie is one of the most creative, conscientious, and responsible gunsmiths I have ever know, His work is simply beyond critique. Great gunsmith, great guy. Pencils down.

Cheers,

FJT

I couldn't have said it better, so I'll just second the motion...

-tex fiddler

Want to thank Tombstone and the rest o y'all for this thread. After readin it and hearing the reviews on this store I figgured I'd give them a whack at Hilda's Mod 92. Just sent it off today so I ain't got a glowing report to add to the thread,...yet...

however Jim's customer relations is good as any I've ever run into, bar none.

I looked him up on the web, and found out that when I was able to make a call the store was closed, so I figgured next best would be top drop him an E-Mail and get an answer in a day or three. Not a problem I wasn't in that big a rush, but wanted to get the process started. Typed out the message and hit send, and within 3 or 4 min my phone was a ringing. Even though the store was closed he took the time to call me then and there. We talked a bit about what the gun was a doin and not a doin, and how long the fix time would be. I decided here was a pard to "Ride the River" with. To make a long story short, The gun got boxed up last night and shipped today. I'll let yall know when this gets back and how Hilda likes the work...

Cheers,

FJT

Howdy the camp,

What FJT said ! :FlagAm:

JAD

Archived