SASS Wire Forum

Interesting sound in my brass

Grizzly Dave

So as I was getting my brass ready for the tumbler, it sounded a bit off, like there was a tinny note in there, figured maybe just a rock or something.

A couple hours in the tumbler and it was all nice and shiny again.

Then in the media separator I hear that tinny sound again. So I put a handful or two at a time into a flat tupperware container and rolled them around checking for cracks and whatnot.

And viola! I found the offending case, split most of the way down the side.

Just goes to show ya, if it don't sound right, or don't feel right, chances are it ain't right!

Now between this past weekends 12 stages and side matches of brass, and the previous weekends brass for me and a new shooter I hosted, I have about 500 ready to load.

Grizz

There were actually two cases that sounded off to me, both were head stamps I don't use, I tossed them both even though the other one wasn't split.

I often get "the look" when I rattle my brass in my hands at the unloading table. Apparently some think I am a little "off" (including Missus Gateway). After a while you can hear the distinctive sound of a split case and get rid of it before leaving the range.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Dont hear well,so I dont hear the brass I do look at each and feel each.Just done making the 444 cases so shinny,looks like gold in them hills.

I just finished sorting thru about 500 cases from this weekend too. also hosted a guest shooter. Strangely when I counted the brass I came home with exactly the number of 45's I shot and came home with an extra 2 38's. No splits this month.

I keep a caninster for bad brass as they can get good salvage money I hear

curley

I save the split cases too when I remember, I should save spent primers too, but rarely remember to, and half of them wind up on the floor anyway. There is just not a good way to catch them off the rock chucker.

Just Charming :wub: saves all our split cases. Says someday, when she gets enuff, she's gonna make little windchimes with 'em. :lol:

R3B

..... wind chimes is good, ....... but wouldn't tha music sound a bit "cracked" ? :huh:

Archived