SASS Wire Forum

Single six spring

J-BAR #18287

What is the lightest weight hammer spring for reliable ignition in a Ruger .22/.22wrm single six? I have to grunt to cock mine!!

Wolff's website shows a 15# spring as the lightest they have. Factory standard is 23#, according to Wolff. Even if you went to a 17#, you should notice the difference.

Wolff's website for Ruger SA

Doc Fillem's post is correct, and the mainsprings,(hammer springs), fit all SA Rugers including the Single Six.

I would suggest the 17 lb. spring would probably be the one you need. It provides for easy cocking, but it hit's the cartridge pretty hard.

Wolff has a shooter's Pak that contains 3 springs. A 17, an 18, and 19 lb. spring, so you could pick the one that does the job you want.

RBK

How does the force required to ignite a .22 rimfire compare to the amount of force required to set off a center fire primer? Anyone know?

How does the force required to ignite a .22 rimfire compare to the amount of force required to set off a center fire primer? Anyone know?

Not sure of the comparison rimfire to centerfire - but in my single sixes that I use for practice I tried the 15# springs and had a misfire about 1 in 5 tries with each gun. Complete disassemble and polish, reassemble and try again - same results. Went to the 17# springs and once in a great while (maybe 400 rounds or so) will have one not go off. As far as cocking the guns I cannot tell much difference between the 2 springs.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

J Bar,

I put some LongHunter 15 lb-ders in my pair of SS and I get good, reliable ignition.

I have also ensured that the hammer strut is smooth and rounded on the corners, the top of the strut is polished and rides smooth in its hammer notch, and the hammer is polished with no drag with falling.

I admit that milage varies when you start dealing with what I consider 'border line' setups.

As mentioned, if you are still using the factory hammer springs, you would probably be very happy with the 17 lb-ders.

One good piece of advice you could follow is give LongHunter a call and ask him. Might want to give Jimmy Spurs a holler also because his Rugers are some of the best I've handled.

..........Widder

I have a 22 single six that has been short stroked by Wes F. to match my 32s so they feel the same to the shooter (back when I was regularly shooting adjustable sight 32s). I know of only one other shooter that has done this. This was not an easy task to get the 22 to fire reliably with the short stroke and light hammer spring. If you want a really light hammer you will probably need to do some experimentation. The 22 has won a fair number of 22 side matches, even a few with me shooting it. I have loaned it on a number of occasions to other shooters that have used it to beat me. It does take more hammer energy to fire a rim fire 22 than a Federal small pistol primer.

Thanks for your thoughts. I also posted this question in another forum and learned from those who put .22 conversions into .45 caliber 1911s that in their experience it is harder to set of a .22 rimfire than a centerfire cartridge.

The internals on this gun are decent, so I am going to experiment. I have several spare springs, so I am going to cut turns until failure then replace the spring and not cut quite as much off the second time around. It beats yard work in 100+ temperatures!! :lol:

J-Bar magic springs by SEVEN are the best replacement for Ruger Single Sixes. They make a world of difference and the 22's go bang every time. He makes a special spring just for Ruger Single Sixes. ;)

Tennessee Deadeye

Archived