SASS Wire Forum

PLAINSMAN SIDE MATCH QUESTION

Hello the fort! Never shot plainsman before and was wondering about loads for rifle. I shoot a H&R 1871 Target in 38-55. Do you shoot full loads (usuall case full pyrodex with 265 cast lead bullett). Do you load down? I plan to shoot at Old Fort Parker--their targets are usaully fairly close (reg match targets). Looking for some help from those experienced in this type of side match. Thanks S.G.

I use a .45-70 H&R w/ejector, and a deep seated 405 grain cast bullet over 40 gr. volume BP. Surprisingly, it's an extremely accurate load in that particular rifle too.

Plainsman Rounds

45-70 H&R with ejector, 22" barrel, shooting a full case of FFFg APP under a 300 gr. bullet. Not punishing at all. It's a sweet load.

Well I found a bullet caster in Delta Junction, "The Bull Shop" who makes a .457 gallery bullet for the 45-70.

They are a 170 grain hollow base.

Now when I loaded a full case of powder they grouped about 12" and 15 yards, but when I cut that charge almost in half with corn mealin have they group about 1" at 15 yards.

From my prior 320 grainers with full charges there is a significant change in recoil.

The round nosers feed better in my trap door, but I figure the 170's are a better plainsman load.

Plainsman is the best side match out there, ifn we are shootn west vs east coast rules.

kg

Well I found a bullet caster in Delta Junction, "The Bull Shop" who makes a .457 gallery bullet for the 45-70.

They are a 170 grain hollow base.

Now when I loaded a full case of powder they grouped about 12" and 15 yards, but when I cut that charge almost in half with corn mealin have they group about 1" at 15 yards.

From my prior 320 grainers with full charges there is a significant change in recoil.

The round nosers feed better in my trap door, but I figure the 170's are a better plainsman load.

Plainsman is the best side match out there, ifn we are shootn west vs east coast rules.

kg

Daniel and Jr. are great guys, Have sold them lead. Sells great BP lube also.

Sam :D

I use a case full of 777 in FF with a 250 grain bulled. This gives me an average velocity of 1341 ft/sec with a standard deviation of 14.7 ft/sec

It doesn't hurt the targets.

I shoot the rifle and caliber. It isn't a long range contest. It is a single shot, C&B BP thing. I do not Recall what the load I shoot is now. Not sure if we can give it here if I did have it handy. The 38-55 is about the perfect caliber for the contest, long cases make it easy to handle, ask those who have the 45 colt and 38 special calibers. The key to the rifle is reloading and cocking especially if you have the ejector model like I have. Next is the C7b is learning to load them consistantly. THe shotgun is like any bp shotgun If you have shot Frontiersman then the only change is the rifle.

Archived