SASS Wire Forum

- - - back up lever gun - - -

If, . . . your primary lever action rifle is .... and original Winchester '73 :)

... and you feel the need to have a back up rifle ( as everyone should have back ups for all guns :) )

then . . . it is just natural to .....

.. buy another original Winchester '73 for a back up,... right ?

. .. of course, ....

any good "gunaholic" would know the answer to that one. :)

So,.... I just bought this. :wub::):excl:

Not in my hands yet, .... is from a reputable seller ( gunsmith in N.C.) who swears the bore is shiny and a 7. Should be a great shooter original Winchester '73. With a 26 in. octegon barrel to compliment the round barreled "short rifle" one that I have already. With 4 coach guns, and now two '73s, and so many pistols that I run out of fingers and toes when I try to count them,.... I just beginning to have a reasonable stock of equimpment. Just beginning,.... ;)

Hello, ... my name is Dutchman, and I'm a gunaholic!

Well Wolfgang, I hope our guns wave at each other as they cross paths. I have an 1895CB Marlin 45-70 enroute from CA to NY right now. A backup to my 1876 Rem. Rolling-block long range rifle.

Now, where am I going to put the next gun safe? :D:FlagAm:

Hello, ... my name is Dutchman, and I'm a gunaholic!

Well Wolfgang, I hope our guns wave at each other as they cross paths. I have an 1895CB Marlin 45-70 enroute from CA to NY right now. A backup to my 1876 Rem. Rolling-block long range rifle.

Now, where am I going to put the next gun safe? :D:FlagAm:

Simple, ... put it right next to the other three :wacko:

I wonder if anyone would notice, if I put a safe in the living room, and set the TV on top?

I could put it where the fridge is now. Just get one of those little office fridge units and set it on the counter. <_<

Hey Wolfgang,

Looks like a great shooter. Maybe I missed it, but assuming its 44-40. Gun deserves a steady diet of Goex or sumsuch smoke inducing, fire belching stuff inside all those brass things that have the lead tips. :wub:

Hey Wolfgang,

Looks like a great shooter. Maybe I missed it, but assuming its 44-40. Gun deserves a steady diet of Goex or sumsuch smoke inducing, fire belching stuff inside all those brass things that have the lead tips. :wub:

.38-40 :)

I wonder if anyone would notice, if I put a safe in the living room, and set the TV on top?

I could put it where the fridge is now. Just get one of those little office fridge units and set it on the counter. <_<

In the living room of the "Ranch House" at White Horse Ranch the TV is on top of one of the safes. And the TV is pretty high up cuz it is a big safe. Gun safes have to be BIG. That is so that you don't need a dozen little ones. :wacko::)

You mean thats a bad thing :unsure:

.38-40 :)

I wasn't impressed until this post.

Got a 1860 military model lever action Henry in 44-40.

Got my "back-up" in a 1866 lever action Henry in 45LC .

Now, ifin only I can git logged into dat site..............................................

As I was reading it, my mind raced ahead, and I thought: Best match rifle: '73. Best back-up: another '73. That's what I have. But you've outclassed me. :wub:

A 73 is next up for me to buy. Shooting a slicked up Marlin now which is great, but want a 73 as well.

Have a couple of ATVs I'm gonna sell, was kinda thinkin of using some of the money from that to buy the 73... then Daughter Grizz's school bill for the fall semester came in the mail this week...

Suddenly I'm not as motivated to tune up those ATVs to get them ready to list.

That's a great looking old gun. I had one in 44-40 built in '81. Finally sold it at a local antique auction to raise dough for some cowboy guns I didn't need to worry about scratching. The bore on mine was shot out, but still worked good at CAS distances. With that bore, I think you got yourself a great shooter.

Have fun with it.

GW

I could put it where the fridge is now. Just get one of those little office fridge units and set it on the counter. dry.gif

Dutcheis put a few refrigerator magnets on the safe and no one will notice.. lol... I saw one at a gun show in burgandy with the dark edges that I would put in my living room or bedroom or kitchen.. lol.. Darn the colors, the wheel locks.. why hide them? lol

Old Tops 73

Nice gun Wolfie....sweet even

Here is Old Tops original 73. He got it when we were in High School for a measly $25. it took us 2 days to find a half box of 44/40 to shoot in it and it cost almost as much as the gun.

curley

Thanks for all the comments. I'm gonna be happy with it. I'm happy I bought my first one even though I got "taken" on the quality of the bore. It was a good one on which to become a "Winchester Mechanic". And with the bore swabbed out it shoots Ok for CAS distance for 10 rounds. I looked around and considered a lot about getting a lever gun. And am very glad I chose to go with original '73 made by WINCHESTER. . . not "imitation '73s" made by Eye-talians. :)

Good shootin' . . . . :)

Archived