SASS Wire Forum

Care of sweatband in hat

Cassalong Hopidy

Ok, I sweat profusely. Probably that big engine upstairs--though it could just be Southern heat, stark fear and debilitating anxiety on the firing line. The sweatband in my hat soaks up a lot of sweat--I know that's what it's for. But what can I do to keep it in good condition and free of odors that may trigger an EPA clean air response? Can't wait to see your recommendations.

Cassalong Hopidy

Ok, I sweat profusely. Probably that big engine upstairs--though it could just be Southern heat, stark fear and debilitating anxiety on the firing line. The sweatband in my hat soaks up a lot of sweat--I know that's what it's for. But what can I do to keep it in good condition and free of odors that may trigger an EPA clean air response? Can't wait to see your recommendations.

Cassalong Hopidy

I get as much of the sweat and gunk out of it as I can scraping it with my thumb nail or a butter knife - fold it down and put a paper towel behind it, then fold it back up. Then soak it down with rubbing alcohol. Or wipe some hand sanitizer on it both front and back. Those are the things I do.

Thanks, Joe.

CH

My pleasure, Cassalong. I know how ripe my hat can get after a couple of days if I don't have a chance to clean it well. I have to wonder what some of those old timers hats smelled like after a while. Maybe the essential oils used in their pomades helped keep the smell down.

What I've done is keep a summer hat. You saw it at the Doc Holliday's match.

I've got one now that must be 8 years old. Now I do make sure to invest a lot in it. I may have paid $25 for the one I've got. B)

It is a palm leaf hat of traditional style. After I super-glued the brim back together this spring, it still looks pretty good.

You'll notice that during the match, i make sure to water down the inside fairly well and that helps keep the sweat band relatively clean. I do dry the sweat band so it doesn't drip while I shoot.

I have a palm leaf hat and wear it some, but prefer black. I like Cowboy Junky's suggestion for a slightly oversized hat with a doo rag.

Cassalong Hopidy

Archived