SASS Wire Forum

Getting started

Guest srawlings

WOW...

lots of more great info since the last time i was on, thanks again this it great, and by the way im about 25 minutes from tombstone, az and thats where im planning to start this endevour.

im also the info here is pretty consistant, not "only brand A, B is junk" with the next one saying "Brand B only cause A is junk"

And a special thanks to silver shadow for taking the time for that, that (along with all the others) helped alot

the waiting is whats killing me...

Hey Scrawlings,

I'm wondering if "25 minutes from tombstone" (possibly by slow horse) and being Army, lands you square in the middle of Ft. Huachuca. If so, it's no wonder you've caught the bug. I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca (OMG)ty years ago. I was fascinated by and wanted badly to get involved with the B Troop (memorial) cavalry parade unit there. Also spent alot of time in Tombstone(met my wife there). Sounds to me like your could be in a great spot to enjoy this sport.

Good luck and have fun.

SS

WOW...

lots of more great info since the last time i was on, thanks again this it great, and by the way im about 25 minutes from tombstone, az and thats where im planning to start this endevour.

im also the info here is pretty consistant, not "only brand A, B is junk" with the next one saying "Brand B only cause A is junk"

And a special thanks to silver shadow for taking the time for that, that (along with all the others) helped alot

the waiting is whats killing me...

The brand A ,B is junk was not what I was implying when I mentioned rifles.Marlins and Rossi's are good rifles,but usually take a few modifications to run as smooth and fast and reliably as a 66 or 73.66's and 73's are not as case length sensitive as a Marlin or Rossi CAN be.Marlin's have a 2 piece firing pin that CAN be problematic and most that use them replace that with a 1 piece firing pin.The Rossi's generally take more "smoothing" out to run fast,but are a strong rifle.What makes the 66 and 73 more desirable for faster shooting is the simple chambering process.They use a straight back,straight up and straight in feed whereas the Marlin's and Rossi's use a "ramp" feed system.Try em all or as many as you can before you start laying out your hard earned money.AND....the folks at Tombstone are a great bunch to shoot with.

The brand A ,B is junk was not what I was implying when I mentioned rifles.Marlins and Rossi's are good rifles,but usually take a few modifications to run as smooth and fast and reliably as a 66 or 73.66's and 73's are not as case length sensitive as a Marlin or Rossi CAN be.Marlin's have a 2 piece firing pin that CAN be problematic and most that use them replace that with a 1 piece firing pin.The Rossi's generally take more "smoothing" out to run fast,but are a strong rifle.What makes the 66 and 73 more desirable for faster shooting is the simple chambering process.They use a straight back,straight up and straight in feed whereas the Marlin's and Rossi's use a "ramp" feed system.Try em all or as many as you can before you start laying out your hard earned money.AND....the folks at Tombstone are a great bunch to shoot with.

oh i know, im refering more to the type of answers youd get on a 1911 forum, you all have been real helpful.

im about to sell my 1911 and possibly a sig, so that should help the fund issue, and ive known i need to reload for a while now.... its just taking the plunge into it... thats also costly...

oh i know, im refering more to the type of answers youd get on a 1911 forum, you all have been real helpful.

im about to sell my 1911 and possibly a sig, so that should help the fund issue, and ive known i need to reload for a while now.... its just taking the plunge into it... thats also costly...

Pard,

You might want to keep that 1911, at least until you have had time to look up Wild Bunch Action Shooting.

For more information, look here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Pard,

You might want to keep that 1911, at least until you have had time to look up Wild Bunch Action Shooting.

For more information, look here.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I agree. Keep the 1911, buy some Vaqueros, a '97, and a Beretta Renegade in .44 or .45, and you are set for both CAS and Wild Bunch.

It sure is easy to spend somebody elses money :).

im selling the 1911 cause i cant afford to shoot it, 45 has just proven to much for me to practice with, also wouldnt i need a rifle larger than 357/38?

Howdy Pard,

Yes, the official WBAS rules require a .40 caliber or larger rifle. However, many local clubs allow alternate guns.

I understand about the ammo. I was just inquiring about a brass catcher as so much is lost shooting WBAS.

Regards,

Allie Mo

http://www.tractorsu...y-cow-774498099

would boots like these be legal?

Yep, those type of Ropers will work for any but the B-Western category.

If you can't see any lugs on the soles by looking at someone five feet away, the boots are legal. So, hiking boots, military boots, heavy farm boots won't usually pass. Tennis shoes won't pass. A pair of Italian alligator loafers won't pass. But most cowboy boots and "packer" lace up boots will.

Go to a local match - you will see by example, and have almost all your starting up questions answered.

Good luck, GJ

Dude, you have to go to the Tombstone Livery this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are having a cowboy swap meet at the Ghost Rider Outlaw's monthly match.

Like most folks said, you are better off being patient with your purchases or it may cost you in the long run. Trust me, most of us have been there.

Members there will be glad to let you handle their irons and probably shoot a few. If you reply with your sizes, I could probably arrange a set of guns, leather and ammo for you if you act quick.

In the summer, many folks prefer straw hats. I'll check back later to see what cha say.

Welcome aboard.

Go West

Dude, you have to go to the Tombstone Livery this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are having a cowboy swap meet at the Ghost Rider Outlaw's monthly match.

Like most folks said, you are better off being patient with your purchases or it may cost you in the long run. Trust me, most of us have been there.

Members there will be glad to let you handle their irons and probably shoot a few. If you reply with your sizes, I could probably arrange a set of guns, leather and ammo for you if you act quick.

In the summer, many folks prefer straw hats. I'll check back later to see what cha say.

Welcome aboard.

Go West

Yeah thanks, that would be great, im planning on goin there this weekend and checking everything out, (wondering if i should bring the wife and 2 kids(2yrs & 3yrs) or not)

my waist size is 36/38ish, what others would you need?

and thanks again

I have a belt and rig that may fit you and if others from there see this, they may bring some additional leather or a belt. Regardless, prepare for fun! Bring the family, though they will need potective eyewear and ear plugs. They often have lunch at the Livery and you can always bring one or go into town.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

As to the OP,

Go to a match and check it out. All of your questions will be ansered there. Cowboy Action Shooting is not that complicated.

Shoot and have fun!

The Livery is located is:

Directions:

From Tucson on 10: (it's very easy!)

1) exit 303, which turns into rt 80, go

thru Benson and St. David, continue

approx. 15 mi. To intersection of Highway

(2 miles north of Tombstone)

2) Turn RIGHT on 82 (west towards

Nogales)

3) Go ONLY 1/4 mi..... Then turn LEFT

into our Driveway

Cowboy Doug & Tequila Terri own the spread and Wiley Yankee & Lola Jane run the match. Like most places cowboy, a lot of fine and fun folks attend.

Swap meet is at 8 am and match starts at 9. I'll bring guns & ammo for the match for you and some leather. I'm sure we could fit you up with something if the leather doesn't fit.

Just come on down and have some fun, it'll be on me & Aim Me West. You'll just need $10 for the match fee for yourself. We'll see you tomorrow.

Archived