SASS Wire Forum

Burgess Problems

Cemetery

Just got my hands on a Burgess Carbine in 44.40, and two boxes of Mag Tech 225g to feed it.

Nothing but problems, wasn't able to get ten shots off without stovepipes, double feeds, jacking live rounds out (like some 92's have a tendency to do), or a massive jam where the base of the cartridge got stuck on the carrier and had to be pryed out. Needless to say, I didn't bother trying to shoot the 2nd box.

Not too happy.

Now, I purchased these two boxes of smokeless, to get simple trigger time till I am able to order boolits and load up some black. I've got a boatload of .430 for my 73, but their too big.

Has anybody else had these kinds of problems with this rifle?

I'm hoping it's just the cartridges I got, cause I'd hate to order a bunch of boolits, have the same troubles, and not be able to use them in my 73.

Feller I shoot with has had his in 44-40 since January. His works good. He does have to remember to work the lever firmly all the way out. I also shoot 44-40 and have noticed I get better reloads using 427 to 428 bullets. Overall length is important on lever rifles. I would try some different loads. No Horse Hair

I don't have a Burgress, but I would check to see if maybe the problem is OAL. 200 grain bullet is nominal for the 44-40. The 225 grainer may be too long. Easy thing first.

Mine is in 45 LC, but had similar problems until changing to a different bullet. It seems the Burgess is extremely sensitive to OAL. Try loading cartridges where te bullets have a higher profile.

Archived