SASS Wire Forum

Another Stoeger single trigger issue

Renegade Roper

Okay here is another Stoeger issue, checked the search and couldn't find one about the right barrel not firing. Here's the history on the gun. Stoeger single trigger 12 gauge w/Jimmy Spurs action job, gun is about 2 yrs old, we reload our own which are similar to Featherlites in recoil. Has previously had issues w/both barrels firing at once (sent back to Jimmy and he corrected, not sure what he did but it hasn't done it since). Then had issues w/left barrel not firing. Found the post about the loose firing pin nuts. And yes when they were loose on the left side it would not fire, tighten em up and good to go. So now I have to check them both before shooting and they do loosen up occassionally. So now the right barrel has decided it does not want to fire on occassion (which is occuring more frequently, like 2-3 times for a box of shells). :angry: Pull the trigger and hear "click" but no bang. I can break the gun open, see that the primer has been hit (lightly dented) snap it back closed and it will fire, bang. Saw a post somewhere that said maybe the firing pins were dirty so he took them out and cleaned them, somewhat dirty, right one was a little harder to get out than the left one. Gun appears to be working normally in all aspects but it is still occassionally not firing the right barrel. Practiced last night and went thru 2 boxes of shells and it did it to me 3 times. Any idea what the fix is other than a new gun?

I read one post that adding a washer would increase spring tension but they were talking about a double trigger and the left barrel not firing due to the recoil slightly opening the gun. It would not appear that this would fix my problem since I can't get the first barrel to fire so obviously there is no recoil to open the gun slightly so the second barrel doesn't fire. Another post said something about the factory firing pins mushrooming and failing to strike the primer properly and that replacing with a Longhunter pin which is harder would cure it. Not sure if Jimmy replaced the factory pins or not or if there is a way to tell if they are "mushroomed". Would you be able to see this or would it be so minute a detail that unless you really knew what you were looking for you would miss it?

Thx. RR (almost pissed off enough to learn how to shoot the 97 !! :angry: )

Okay here is another Stoeger issue, checked the search and couldn't find one about the right barrel not firing. Here's the history on the gun. Stoeger single trigger 12 gauge w/Jimmy Spurs action job, gun is about 2 yrs old, we reload our own which are similar to Featherlites in recoil. Has previously had issues w/both barrels firing at once (sent back to Jimmy and he corrected, not sure what he did but it hasn't done it since). Then had issues w/left barrel not firing. Found the post about the loose firing pin nuts. And yes when they were loose on the left side it would not fire, tighten em up and good to go. So now I have to check them both before shooting and they do loosen up occassionally. So now the right barrel has decided it does not want to fire on occassion (which is occuring more frequently, like 2-3 times for a box of shells). :angry: Pull the trigger and hear "click" but no bang. I can break the gun open, see that the primer has been hit (lightly dented) snap it back closed and it will fire, bang. Saw a post somewhere that said maybe the firing pins were dirty so he took them out and cleaned them, somewhat dirty, right one was a little harder to get out than the left one. Gun appears to be working normally in all aspects but it is still occassionally not firing the right barrel. Practiced last night and went thru 2 boxes of shells and it did it to me 3 times. Any idea what the fix is other than a new gun?

I read one post that adding a washer would increase spring tension but they were talking about a double trigger and the left barrel not firing due to the recoil slightly opening the gun. It would not appear that this would fix my problem since I can't get the first barrel to fire so obviously there is no recoil to open the gun slightly so the second barrel doesn't fire. Another post said something about the factory firing pins mushrooming and failing to strike the primer properly and that replacing with a Longhunter pin which is harder would cure it. Not sure if Jimmy replaced the factory pins or not or if there is a way to tell if they are "mushroomed". Would you be able to see this or would it be so minute a detail that unless you really knew what you were looking for you would miss it?

Thx. RR (almost pissed off enough to learn how to shoot the 97 !! :angry: )

If they are mushroomed you should be able to see it. If you don't have micrometer eyes take your caliper and measure the firing pin's tip and then go down the shaft a ways and measure again. If the tip is bigger its mushroomed. Try reversing the pins and see if the problem switches sides.

Things to think about:

Something causing the hammer/striker or firing pin to move too slowly. Friction, etc.

Firing pin a little too short.

Not enough spring tension. (adding a washer can help or test that)

Is the gun closing solidly? (the front of the frame can eventually wear such that the barrels are not seating fully.)

Guest Texas Bounty Hunter

Have same problem with my single trigger stoeger -a miss fire at least once a match on first

pull of the trigger! :angry:

Been working on 2 of these for over a month now, both had action jobs but as mentioned fail to fire right barrel, I noticed right hammer has a "bump" on bottom that hold sear in up position upon firing so single trigger can activate second sear....this "bump" was as cast rough and drug on the sear when action was opened, when opened quickly the sear spring wasnt quick enough to engage properly,,I shortened and change angle of the bump plus polished,,,,,so far it only acts up about 1 out of a hundred now,,,still working to make it right every time, looking forward to see other idea's to fix this problem

Things to think about:

Something causing the hammer/striker or firing pin to move too slowly. Friction, etc.

Firing pin a little too short.

Not enough spring tension. (adding a washer can help or test that)

Is the gun closing solidly? (the front of the frame can eventually wear such that the barrels are not seating fully.)

Had the same issue with my new from the box stoger/single trigger last year. No one could seem to get it to go. Finally bought one off a pard at WR, and sold mine off for 1/2 price. Pard who got it said it does okay, but you have to get rough with it!! Go figure. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ordered new firing pins and a lever spring from Longhunter and new firing pin springs and bushing/fastening bolts from Mann & Sons, waiting for them to arrive so we can see if that is the problem.

FWIW last night he switched the firing pins and noticed that the one was noticeably shorter than the other (right barrel). I tested it last night on a box of shells and not one misfire (either barrel) however ONCE it locked up tight on me and would not open, had to break it over my knee. Not sure if this is a new problem or one associated w/the current issue. <_< Either way it will get tested again tonight and I will see if any new issues crop up.

Will wait to see if the "new parts" when they arrive make any difference too. Posting this so others with Stoeger issues can hopefully benefit, assuming they search the wire first. ;) Thx again for the replies. RR

Archived