SASS Wire Forum

Anyone using Moulton Lead 147 grain 38 bullet in a '73?

Hi Folks:

If yer using the Moulton lead 147 grain bullet in 38 specials for your 1873 rifle, please let me know what overall length works well for you.

I was thinkin 1.5" would be a good length.

I was intending on using 3 grains bullseye.

Alliant's Website lists 3.5 grains bullseye as max for an RCBS 82077 147 grain lead bullet.

Comments on this 3 grain load and /or pm's of your load for this bullet would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

Thanks Blood Washed.

I figured around 1.5 or so, based on the length of the carrier.

Since I mostly shoot BP & 44-40, I just want to lessen the learning curve on this 38 caliber smokeless stuff.

Thanks for the verification.

See ya in about 3 weeks.

Hopefully the rain will be over by then!

That shoot's gonna be fun!

--Dawg

Guest Mace Bishop

Use the Moulton 147 gr bullet in both my Rossi 92 and in my 73.

I load to a length of 1.53 and have no problems. I too, use Trail Boss.

Mace

Thanks for the info folks.

That's one thing that's great about the Wire -- Lotsa help when I need it :)

--Dawg

I use that exact load of Bullseye and the 147 gr. Moulton TC bullet in both my 1866 and 1873 rifles. The nominal length sits right at 1.53 or 1.54.I would recomend that you load some up and see how they cycle at that length. What I discovered, was the lube crumbles off and while I start at 1.54 after a few hundred rounds, the lube builds up in the die and the length begins to shorten. I usually have to stop and clean the seating die out at 300 to 350 rounds when I load in sumer, and about 400 in the winter.

Thanks guys!

--Dawg

Prairie Dog,

I use the 147's at 1.540 and use trail Boss powder. They work great. I also use a taper crimp die. Now all you have to do is load your pistols with Moulton Lead's 105 grain bullets and will really be happy.

Thanks--seems like it'll work.

I just loaded up a bunch & gonna try 'em next week!

Too much fun

Thanks for all the advice!

--Dawg

I use the Moulten lead 147 gr for my Marlin set at 1.50" and stuffed full of Goex 2f also their 105 gr bullet with the same formula.They work Great....I also like them for my pistols too.Not to mention what a nice company they are to deal with.Good prices and fast service.If you are coming to the PA State you just may get lucky and get a gift certificate from them as a door prize.Iffen your lucky that is.

Sgt H

Hi Folks:

If yer using the Moulton lead 147 grain bullet in 38 specials for your 1873 rifle, please let me know what overall length works well for you.

I was intending on using 3 grains bullseye.

Alliant's Website lists 3.5 grains bullseye as max for an RCBS 82077 147 grain lead bullet.

Comments on this 3 grain load and /or pm's of your load for this bullet would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

Hey there P DAWG,

1.5 or as close as U can get to it is the correct length for use in my '73'......

As for yor load w/ Bullseye, you can use exactly what you mentioned and have great success with it!

Kindest regards,,

CBA

Hi Folks:

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

This past Sunday I spent a good part of the afternoon testing various OAL configurations with the Moulton 147 bullet. After about 400 rounds down range my conclusion was that my (Jimmy Spurs) '73 will feed anything .38 caliber! I tried rounds as short as 1.50 and as long as 1.60 and they all feed flawlessly. I will continue to use my load of WSF (within 3/10 grain of the maximum book load, Speer 14) with the OAL set at 1.585 for both pistol and rifle.

You may already know this but if you do an "over the top" reload with the '73 you will need a short round for sure.

Olen

Thanks pard.

Didn't know that about over the top reloads.

I usually fumble them with that leetle boolit, so I put it in the loading gate.

I do over the top reloads with my 44-40 tho.

Thanks pard.

--Dawg

Archived