SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550 lube

Tomboy

After applying the "wrong" lube and gummed the machine up (many years ago), I talked with a tech from Dillon and he said the best lube was a finger dipped in 30W motor oil.

Once a week at the end of the day, I flush the main ram and the lever joints with WD-40 to clean all the crud off and out.

The next day, I I wipe the machine down and lube with 30W motor oil.

This is a weekly maintenance operation. I load a few rounds every day. About 2000 to 2500 rounds.

When assembling or working on the machines, we use 30 wt motor oil on the shaft, and synthetic wheel bearing grease everywhere else- only exception is we also use grease on the corner bearing of the Square Deal loaders.

This is the "official" Dillon response. I was wondering what type of grease they use; now I know, thanks.

I looked in my 650 manual I downloaded and it is in there. I remembered reading it when I assembled it.

Maintenance

Lubrication: Operating circumstances will

dictate the frequency of required lubrication.

It is highly recommended that the XL

650 be cleaned and lubed after every 3000

rounds of operation. Use 30-weight motor

oil on shaft, and wheel bearing grease on

pivot pins and all other moving parts. Never

use penetrating lubricants, aerosol sprays,

or solvent type lubes, such as WD-40 or

Break Free.

Lubrication Points:

Shellplate bolt – Grease.

Main Shaft Lubrication – Use only 30-

weight motor oil. Once again, do not use

penetrating lubricants, aerosol sprays, or

solvent type lubricants.

I have an older 550. Mine only has the small holes to add oil at the pivot pins. One evening I tool the whole machine apart to clean and grease those pivots. NEVER AGAIN!! I use a small chainsaw grease gun that is used to grease the tip of the bar. This little greasegun fits the holes in the Dillon perfect. Simply put the greasegun tip in the hole and push until the grease comes out the sides. It will work better than any oil you dri in there. Of course my buddies new 550 has a grease fitting in the end. You can get one at your local Outdoor Power Equipment Store

http://www.oregonchain.com/homeowner/products/accessories/grease_gun.htm

Archived