SASS Wire Forum

new guy questions

rippin kid

I just joined and have some questions.

I have some guns, and getting more as the wife/budget allows. I have a SA Blackhawk with adjustable sites. I believe I can use it but be classified as "Modern Gun". Question is that a class of shooter like 49er or Senior or is it something else? Last weekend my wife found a very nice tools holster at an estate sale, I'm guessing it's for a 45 because it to big for my .357/38 Ruger. Can I add a layer inside the holster to make it and the shell holders smaller like a felt liner? I have read that dry firing a new Vaquero might lead to broken parts. Will the use of practise loads prevent this?

Thanks

the Rippen Kid

I have some guns, and getting more as the wife/budget allows. I have a SA Blackhawk with adjustable sites. I believe I can use it but be classified as "Modern Gun". Question is that a class of shooter like 49er or Senior or is it something else? Last weekend my wife found a very nice tools holster at an estate sale, I'm guessing it's for a 45 because it to big for my .357/38 Ruger. Can I add a layer inside the holster to make it and the shell holders smaller like a felt liner? I have read that dry firing a new Vaquero might lead to broken parts. Will the use of practise loads prevent this?

Thanks

the Rippen Kid

Howdy and welcome. There is no modern category any more, so you would be looking at a different category. Senior, 49er Wrangler, Cowboy etc are age based rather than equipment based. I know they are a little confusing but if you go to the home page of SASS and look at the "SASS Handbooks" page you will find a downloadable PDF of the Shooters handbook that will have all the info you need.

As far as adjusting leather to fit different guns there are others who make rigs and are much more knowlegable who will probably chime in later.

Though I use snap caps for my Old model vaquero's when I dry fire there are others who don't and have very few broken parts after 100's of thousands of dry fires (I have heard of one shooter who has a million rounds through his guns! amazing!)

Regards

:lol:

Gateway Kid

Hey RK,

The question re: dry firing the New Model Vaquero has been a topic of lengthy debate, let's just say not all Cowboys agree. Speaking for myself, I recommend use of snap-caps for dry firing practice...some guns are (supposedly) OK to dry fire and some are not, I like to play it safe and consider the cost of the snap caps to be cheap insurance. I use 'A-Zoom' brand, though there are others - just about any gun store will have them.

I think the SA Blackhawk is OK, but hopefully someone more experienced will chime in with a definitive answer. I'm not familiar with the "Modern Gun" phrase although there is/was a "Modern" shooting category so maybe that has something to do with it. For an authoritative answer, check the "SASS Handbooks" link in the menu above and reference the shooter's handbook.

Seems like common sense to me that 'removing' some extra space in the holsters should make them fit your piece more snugly....the 'shell holders' I'm a little more skeptical about, not sure if you're talking about a shotgun shell holder or the regular bullet loops. I'd venture that there is more room to work in with the former, though. Many cowboys around my neck of the woods just leave the bullet loops empty rather than carry the extra weight.

If in doubt, I would advise watching the Classifieds here and looking for a holster set someone used with the same or similar gun and caliber...although sometimes those estate sale deals can be hard to pass up!

Oh, and one more thing -- WELCOME TO SASS!! It's a mighty fine bunch of kooks, one I'm proud to count myself among!

Hope this helps,

TMM

Any lining material you might try to add inside a holster or bullet loops will probably peel right back out. Commercially made rigs have the liner glued in, then the stitching that closes up the holster layers reinforces the lining. Even then, thin linings can tear out.

You might be better off having a local leather worker soak the holster and refit it to your gun wrapped in a strong plastic bag. Holster leather can be refit by applying pressure with a "bone" or other smooth tool and refit it to your guns.

And, no, the outside dimensions of your .357 revolver are not any different from the dimensions of a .45 colt revolver of the same model and barrel length. Just the bore/cylinder internal dimensions. If the holster is sloppy on a new model Ruger Vaquero, then it was probably made for a Blackhawk or "old model" Vaquero, which is a larger gun, but often the holster can be remolded to fit nicely.

Cartridge loops already on the belt you can just ignore (or even remove, if sewn on top of the surface layer of the belt). Get a "slide" to hold about six of your .38 specials and use that for the rather infrequent reloads you will need for either your rifle or revolvers. Or, just get another plain 2 inch or 2 1/4 inch wide work belt until you get more into the game.

Good luck, GJ

Welcome Rippin' Kid!

A few years ago the Modern (adjustable-sight pistols) and Traditional (fixed-sight pistols) classes were removed and two new age-based categories were created. Blackhawks can be used in any age-based category.

Sorry I don't know how to make a holster smaller. Whatever you do, you do not want your pistols to fall out. If it's empty, you would get a Stage Disqualification (SDQ). If it's loaded, you would get a Match Disqualification (MDQ). These are our most serious safety infractions.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Next question.

I have a Winchester 1894 in .357 from what I have read it is not the ideal cowboy gun. The local gun shop has a SS Marlin in the same caliber. The owner is willing to give me a very good trade in towards the Marlin, (he's had some guys in the shop asking about 1894 Winchesters for deer hunting) so should I trade?

Next question.

I have a Winchester 1894 in .357 from what I have read it is not the ideal cowboy gun. The local gun shop has a SS Marlin in the same caliber. The owner is willing to give me a very good trade in towards the Marlin, (he's had some guys in the shop asking about 1894 Winchesters for deer hunting) so should I trade?

If all you want at the end is a good Cowboy gun, sure. Will make a great match gun. A '94 in .357 is hardly good for much besides light hunting. I'd much rather have a 30-30 or a 38-55 for a deer gun (but I guess .357 would be better than a sharp stick).

Good luck, GJ

RK,

Just make sure the Marlin you're getting is a 'CAS Legal' gun. The rifle I mentioned giving me fits at my third shoot is a Winchester 94AE in .45 LC, stiff action and unreliable feeding though yours may not be as bad. If the Marlin is a CAS gun I would recommend proceeding with the trade, you'll quickly weary of that old Winchester!

Good Luck,

TMM

Next question.

IMHO: Trade! I owned a Winchester 1894 in 357. It was a stiff, slow working mechanism, though the rifle was quite accurate. I sold it to a fellow who wanted to hunt coyotes in the brush. I own a SS Marlin in .357 I bought for foul weather days. After an action job by Longhunter it is an adequate CAS rifle (though '73s are faster).

Well in either case it sounds like you're going to make a trip to your local leathersmith for a redo on your rig. A few things that can be done is that some times the cartridge loops are only held by the ends of the strip of leather (that would be great) or sewn between loops (not so great). In either case the leathersmith can undo one end, put your cartridges in the loops and reattach the strip, cutting off the excess for a job done. The holster, depending on how much bigger it is can be oiled and boned down to fit your revolver to a tee. Smithy.

Thanks

the Rippen Kid

Your Blackhawk is an excellent gun for our sport. It may be used in the majority of our categories. See the SASS Shooter's Handbook. You want a holster that will fit and hold your guns securely but allow you to easily draw and reholster. Adding any kind of liner probably won't work unless sewn into the holster and it might be better to find another solution, besides you need two holsters. Dry firing my eventually break a Vaquero transfer bar, but likely after many tens of thousands of hits. On your later post on rifle on the 94, get a different rifle as the 94 was designed for longer cartridges and will not work well on our pistol caliber cartridges. The Marlin is a great rifle. Our current US champion uses one.

Pard; If you have an opportunity to snag a Marlin better do it now! Marlin has been bought out by Remington arms. The Connecticut Marlin factory was shut down and the machinery moved to Illion, New York to the Remington factory there. Virtually all of the former Marlin workers have been replaced. So far, no Remington made Marlins have been released but Marlins made by Marlin are going to get scarce as there will be no more. You can read more about them at marlinowners.com where us Marlin Owners congregate. Marlin's are a great gun both for Cowboy Action and for hunting. They are robust and many are very collectible. With Rugers and Marlins You can't go wrong!

Welcome to CAS!

Wakatomika :FlagAm:

There is a used Dillon 550 for sale near me for $350 with a scale and tumbler. Is that a good deal? It comes withs dies for 45LC so I would have to buy the 38/.357 dies

That would be a swell deal. You can buy a used Dillon with the assurance that the company will still provide you warranty service like they do everyone else. They will even rebuild it when it gets worn. Jump on it. And you can probably peddle the die set you don't want on the Classifieds here.

Good luck, GJ

Archived