SASS Wire Forum

Funniest match moments?

Shooting Bull

A few years back at a local match. Pa Derringer (Grandpa) had been in my ear all day long about "how he was going to wipe the floor with me, etc." Blah blah blah :rolleyes: Well, on the 4th stage it was his turn to shoot. He fires both pistols through the window, then moves to the doorway to pick up rifle. Shouldered and levered the rifle. Click, nothing. Lever-click-lever-click. Looks at the TO. Blank stare from TO. Tries it again, nothing. Takes the rifle off his shoulder to get a better look at whats going on and tilts it forward. TO says "HELL, ALL YOUR AMMO IS JUST SLIDING OUT OF THE END OF THE BARREL!" --- Pa and I were sharing a guncart that day. Both our 66s looked identical. But one "minor difference" :wacko: , mine was 45LC and his was 38. I asked him "couldn't you tell that it wasn't your rifle when you were at the loading table?" Pa said "It was a little bit of a struggle loading it, but I was starting to get tired and thought thats why it was difficult." ---- When Pa comes out during the winter (he's one of them snowbirds), we usually watch the video a few times for a good laugh.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At Thunder Valley a few years ago there was an unusual stage, you shot your main match pistol at a cardboard target across a table. I was shooting Cap and Ball, and I had my one and only chain fire in 12 years of C&B shooting. It went through the cardboard target, they scored it as good, and I cleaned the stage. I didn't even realize it had happened, but Howdy Doody saw it and was outraged at my luck. His reaction was hilarious, and I don't think he will ever forgive me.

You know M.C. even though that was several years ago, I remember that happening like it was yesterday. I can't say that about too much. I was spotting you and when I saw your chainfire, I went uh oh, but to see you hit the target with the chainfired ball in the order that was called for and clean the stage on top of that really had my mouth open in amazement. There isn't too much funny about a chainfire, but I am glad my deer in the headlights look tickled you. :rolleyes: That will remain one of my favorite things to witness in CAS. That and the time I went to the line with my near new C&B pistols some ten years ago or so and drew and fired and just a primer pop, then another, then another. At about the third time it all came back to me. I had forgot to load up and had only capped at the loading table. Good thing pistols were first and nothing had gone down range except my forgetfulness and any pride I ever had, so I was awarded a reshoot. The posse loved it and the T.O. still remembers it too. I mentioned it to BJT a couple years ago and he said something like that was one of his best laughs too. He was casual about telling me as it happened, "why not go to the unloading table, unload your rifle and try that again" but, as I looked at him sheepishly, I saw the biggest grin I ever saw him with.

That is what keeps me coming back to C&B. I can think of other stories too. You seem to get them when you shoot smokey stuff out of them. :wacko:

At one of our Pawnee Station 5th Sat. monthlies ol' Luther Justice was RO and up to his pranks. Josephina Bouchet, a great Classic Cowgirl shooter was shootin' 22's with 410 S/G. When she wasn't looking... even before she came up to shoot.. Luther stretched out the shotgun reset rope.

When she got to that set of S/G targets Pale Wolf stood on the end of that stretched out rope that kept the target from going down yellin', "HIT IT AGAIN!"

All the while JB was blowing shot after shot after shot after shot at that KD S/G target the rest of the gallery of clowns is just dyin' ... and I do mean dyin'.

She kept turning around (gun down range) after about 5 or 6 of them with a pleading look that we all stop laughing... it only got worse. She amust have shot 6-8 at the stubborn thing- just nailing it every time.

I'm still chuckling at the scene and her husband, Cutter Schofield- one of our best CC shooters was laughing as hard as anyone as she blamed him for her 'mouse phart' 410 loads.

A few months ago, one of our Holy Black shooters was stepping to the line.

I thought it was unusual when two gentlemen suddenly volunteered to count.

As usual the stage rocked with booms and smoke from the shooters full powered loads.

At the end of the stage when we turned to the counters, there they stood with WWII gas masks on their heads.

It was funnier if you were there.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195
A few months ago, one of our Holy Black shooters was stepping to the line.

I thought it was unusual when two gentlemen suddenly volunteered to count.

As usual the stage rocked with booms and smoke from the shooters full powered loads.

At the end of the stage when we turned to the counters, there they stood with WWII gas masks on their heads.

It was funnier if you were there.

I was timing one of our BP shooters and the space was a little narrow and the wind was in our face and I KNEW I was going to get smoked out so I quickly pulled my bandana over my mouth and said to the shooter "Whenever you are ready" he saw the mask over my face, and as this is a family site I wont repeat his words

A few years back at our National Championships the shotgun targets were a little bit further out than most of us are used to .....

... a big fella was throwin' shot after shot at these "impossible" targets and stormed off, after eventually completing the stage, muttering about how "impossible" these "impossible" targets were ....

.... next shooter was a buckerette using a 410 with 1/2oz. of shot ............ every target fell from it's first shot .....

.................... good thing he "loosened" them up for her ...... :blink:

Wanted to clarify Big Tim's comment on the funniest things that happen. The match was a get together of the club for a pot luck and swap meet. The shooting was just a part of that get together. Nothing on the line. I must say, at the moment grabbing my pistols, I was dumbfounded as to why the bullets weren't going bang. They did a good job of keeping me busy while others unloaded my pistols. All , including me, had a good laugh. On to another cowboy who shoots a marlin, came up, staged his rifle on the table. Went to position one, and others kept him busy while 8 of us put our marlins on the table. When he came to position 2, was priceless to see the expression on his face trying to figure out which rifle was his.

Again, this was a fun match, nothing on the line, and ALL had a great time.

Blue Ridge Ranger

Wanted to clarify Big Tim's comment on the funniest things that happen. The match was a get together of the club for a pot luck and swap meet. The shooting was just a part of that get together. Nothing on the line. I must say, at the moment grabbing my pistols, I was dumbfounded as to why the bullets weren't going bang. They did a good job of keeping me busy while others unloaded my pistols. All , including me, had a good laugh. On to another cowboy who shoots a marlin, came up, staged his rifle on the table. Went to position one, and others kept him busy while 8 of us put our marlins on the table. When he came to position 2, was priceless to see the expression on his face trying to figure out which rifle was his.

Again, this was a fun match, nothing on the line, and ALL had a great time.

Blue Ridge Ranger

Blure Ridge, I enjoy a good joke as much as anyone but, I am sorry to disagree with you. There is plenty to do in a fun get together including all kinds of practical jokes, but messing with another's loaded gun is not one IMHO. I think whomever did the pistol unloading should be removed from the match even if it were the match director. These kind of actions can quickly escalate to something you do not foresee at first. See you shooting soon.

Several years ago at an OWSA match my buddy was having trouble with a new rifle. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Complained and complained. So finally I offered to try out his rifle to see if I could tell what might be wrong with it. He agreed. While I was heading to the loading table I noticed the rear sight was set way too high. I lowered the sight a few clicks and loaded up. I cleaned the stage, including the rifle targets. On the way to the unloading table I loudly stated that there didn't seem to be anything wrong with his rifle. At the unloading table I set the rear sight back to where he had it and handed it back to him. Didn't say a word about it until several months later back at our home club and of course in front of the whole group. We still get a good laugh over that one.

Steeldust Dan

I wasn't there but down at Cavern Cove a lady was spotting for a cap and ball shooter. He fired a shot and evidently a small piece of cap flew out and went down her blouse. She screamed, "Your hot nipple is in my shirt."

The video of Fannie Kickenshoot dancing around trying to shake hot brass out of her dress is a good one. Not sure where one would go to find it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago at a Colorado Shaketails match, we shot a stage that began with the staged rifle. I watched as the shooter picked up his shinny brass 66, jack the lever and "click" then another and another. Every one was cussing about dud rounds but I did not see any thing eject from the gun. I told the RO that I thought the rifle was malfunctioning and as armore volunteered to take a look at it. Sure enough there was a 45 colt ctg. in the magazine of a 44WCF. I loaned the shooter one of my rifles and he asked me to see if I could fix his, all the time swearing it was his carbine and it was in 45 colt caliber. Everyone was standing around scratching their heads when someone behind us exclaimed, "Ok, whose got my 44-40". We turned to see one of the shooters fron the possie ahead of us, that was just finishing up when we arrived at the stage, standing there with a bright sinny 45 colt model 66. What brought a laugh was the shooter from our possie saying, with a sigh of relief, "See I'm alright"!

Archived