SASS Wire Forum

Opinions of enlisted military and ex military

Young Thunder

So my situation is this. I am 34 have a great job as an Accounting Controller for a large public company got my degree and thinking about going for my masters. I have been married for 8 years this June and I have a wonderful 2 year old son I would do anything for. My wife is 30 this year and has her Bachelors degree in Marketing. When I first met my wife she had a desire to go into the Air Force but decided the time wasn't right. Well she is now looking at it seriously, she has talked to the recruiter and he told her she needs to drop a little weight (nothing big could have it off in 2 or 3 months) and she would be eligible for OCS because of her degree and she would go in as a 2nd LT at about $5k a month plus benefits.

She is seriously considering this as a career change and looking at it from a 20 year perspective. I fully support her decision but we want to be aware of any unforseen events since neither of us know about being we were never in the military before.

So that is what I am looking for. Is there stuff no one is telling us at the recruiters office? Is there anything she should be on the lookout for?

Yes she is fully aware she might have to go to Iraq since she wants to go in for Nursing.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Edit: Posted in the wrong forum opps

I retired from the AF back in 2002 after twenty years.It isn't a regular job. Some stations it can be and others are far from it. In the 20 years I was in for the cold war, Gulf War and retired just before the Iraq War. I had great times and times that I couldn't stand. As a Officer she will be expected to put in long hours and do the political sstuff like the O Club mtg's and then you will be expected to do stuff also as her other half. I had times when I barely worked 20 days a month and one was usually 12 hr shifts playing war. and another time where we went on 12hr shifts after the 4th of July and didn't come off until Thanksgiving. I was at stations that required a pass or leave to leave the area or be off duty for more than 72 hrs and others that Had a 5 day weekend for the 4th of july when it was on a Wednesday. It can vary and the benefits are not what they used to be, now you pay for medical after you retire and soemtime back the retirement droped from 50% to 30% for twenty years, officers get promoted up through capt for staying out of trouble and doing your time after that you have to have points, some comes from testing, others from your annual preformance reviews and some for training and education and the last from awards. The desert rigtht now is the easiest/fastest way to get promoted. If you will be at EOT I can find the time to sit down and let you know what I know. This I do know is that you better go in before your b-day or you may not be eligable, the cutoff was 34 for enlisted so I am not sure what it is fore coming in from the outside. I am able to be retired at 45 with my Mil retirement and my Disablility plus I get my SS disability. It isn't for everyone, especially if you haven't had a structured regimented background. My father was in the AF also and he gave me an idea of what to expect but he didn't do more than 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadie and I will also be at EOT, and we'd be glad to talk with you. I retired from USAF in Dec 93 after 20, and Sadie was with me the whole time. She can give you perspective on an officer's spouse's social obligations. What Blackie said is accurate, sometimes 90% of the time ins waiting for the other 10% to happen. In a crisis time, expect the service member to work exceptionally long hours for an extended period of time. In Panama back in 1989, we worked 12-15 hour days for about nine months straight (Sundays sometimes as little as 4-6 hours), and only a few days off in between. The life can be very rewarding, but not for everyone. The money looks good, but don't do it for that reason. Pay doesn't cover the amount of work, responsibility, stress, related expenses, working holidays, lost family time, time away from family, etc. The real professionals do it as a calling and accept that. While up at Cody, we ran into a young man who was entering West Point. His mother expressed her pride and also her worry about him going into harm's way. I told her that only a select few do what needs to be done, and her son was chosen to be one of those select few. I cannot express enough my great pride in today's military.

If you make EOT, you can easily find us in the main tent at our photo station. If not, see us at an annual match (we do about 25 a year), or if time is an issue, feel free to call.

• 3 weeks later...

Artie I retired in 02 after 20, and I wasn't trying to scare him off but lettign him know that it isn't a job it is a lifestyle that doesn't fit everyone. If you take the pay you will find that most any other job pays better and that is based on a 40 hour week. Which you will never see anymore. When I went in we had enough people to do th ejob without killing youself now that number has been cut so much that when I tretired I had about 5 jobs that would have been filled by a single person each 10 years earlier. In 91 they cut the forces in about half it seemed and then another cut in 95-96 where they offered the 15 year retirement which i missed by 6 months. then it seemed that we would loose a person through attrition and they wouldn't get replaced. So I feel for those still on active duty. It must be rougher now than when we were in. Now when a career field gets short they will not let those whose contracts up out the hold the under stop loss programs. I think that stop loss may be necessary to cover short tem losses but it should be restricted to 3 months or so only so that the individual can make plans for their future outside ht emilitary. I had planned to go on termal leave shortly after thanksgiving 01 but we were put on stop loss after 911 and it took a humanitairian letter for me to retire in 02 to take care of my mother who was dying of cancer.

• 5 months later...

Depending upon your MOS, you may work from dawn to dawn eight days per week. My Marine Corps MOS was so short and remains so that you will work constantly and often not even get a chance for regular personal hygiene and hot food. There were times that I almost lost sight of what country I was in...

Family life gets very difficult and divorces are far more common in the military than they are in civilian life. My son is a current USMC officer. He often works 16 to 18 hour days in CONUS let alone when he is deployed.

However, that is the military so, perhaps, the Air Force might be different! :-)

So my situation is this. I am 34 have a great job as an Accounting Controller for a large public company got my degree and thinking about going for my masters. I have been married for 8 years this June and I have a wonderful 2 year old son I would do anything for. My wife is 30 this year and has her Bachelors degree in Marketing. When I first met my wife she had a desire to go into the Air Force but decided the time wasn't right. Well she is now looking at it seriously, she has talked to the recruiter and he told her she needs to drop a little weight (nothing big could have it off in 2 or 3 months) and she would be eligible for OCS because of her degree and she would go in as a 2nd LT at about $5k a month plus benefits.

She is seriously considering this as a career change and looking at it from a 20 year perspective. I fully support her decision but we want to be aware of any unforseen events since neither of us know about being we were never in the military before.

So that is what I am looking for. Is there stuff no one is telling us at the recruiters office? Is there anything she should be on the lookout for?

Yes she is fully aware she might have to go to Iraq since she wants to go in for Nursing.

Thoughts? Ideas?

876388[/snapback]

Thoughts? Ideas?

876388[/snapback]

I retired with 21 years plus,for one assignment was a Nurse recruiter.Unless things have changed,the recruits had to have a nursing degree(4 year type) or have been accepted into a 4 year nursing school. Have never heard of a degreed person in marketing being direct commissioned as a nurse. Further the gals or guys that were accepted into the nursing program were commissioned as 2ed lieutenants upon acceptance of the 4 year school and us. After recieving their degree they were promoted to 1st Lieutenant.After that they recieved a sort of basic training that introduced them into the military way of life.

another thing she should watch for is her age. But its very rewarding if she makes it. :blink:

To surve our country is a fine thing!

I was Sgt. and the wife was 1st Lt. Surgical R.N in the Army. But, this was back in 63-67 for her. The Air Force was the best place to be back then. Just remember the military is part of the Government, and they do not keep their word. Neither of us are eligible for V.A. Hospitalization any longer, even if she was a RN for the VA. :D

And back then the army paid for her education to get the RN degree, then she entered service. If going through with it, check on that and get them to pay for the degree, then serve the 20. :blink:

To surve our country is a fine thing!

I was Sgt. and the wife was 1st Lt. Surgical R.N in the Army. But, this was back in 63-67 for her. The Air Force was the best place to be back then. Just remember the military is part of the Government, and they do not keep their word. Neither of us are eligible for V.A. Hospitalization any longer, even if she was a RN for the VA. :D

And back then the army paid for her education to get the RN degree, then she entered service. If going through with it, check on that and get them to pay for the degree, then serve the 20. :blink:

1098346[/snapback]

If you or your wife had a injury while on active duty you or her would have been able to use VA for that injury. So as a reminder,if you are currenty in the service,keep copys of your medical record when you are discharged.And the service does keep their word,its just that most people dont read the contract. :D

I retired after 5 years USAF (enlisted) and 15 years Army (light infantry officer). As everyone states, serving our country is a very time-consuming and rewarding career. Economically speaking, you will not be at parity with your civilian counterpart (especially here in Silicon Valley); however, the commissary and military exchange make up for that -- kinda-sorta. Expect about a 15%-20% savings at the commissary, especially produce and milk.

Also, Uncle Sam will pay, PAY, PAY your mortgage .... kinda-sorta. This is a great way to purchase a house if you've not previously done so. Actually, they don't pay your mortgage; but, if you live off base you will get Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH w/dependents) which often times covers your mortgage (amount increases with rank and varies by locale). In 20 years you could own a nice home in your favorite location if'n you play the game soundly (trade up, etc.) :blink:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/housingallo...08bahowdmen.htm

so, for Colorado:

Locality\Rank..............2LT ..........1LT..........CPT..........MAJ.........LTC..........COL........BG

DENVER..........................1296........1376........1569........1673........1745........1759........1780

COL. SPRINGS.................1030........1162........1345........1532........1663........1677........1696

FORT COLLINS.................1044........1329........1449........1581........1674........1688........1707

BOULDER.........................1278........1463........1711........1872........1984........2000........2024

Now, if I were still active duty here at Moffett Field, California:

Santa Clara Co, CA .........2LT ..........1LT..........CPT..........MAJ.........LTC..........COL........BG

.........................................1919........2200........2275........2823........3212........3238........3276

(as a captain it would have covered my mortgage!)

Errrrrr .... that's TAX FREE money. If your rent/mortgage is less ... you pocket the change.

Good luck!

Guy Power

----------------

"...Little do they know of our long labour for the safe-keeping of their borders. Yet, I grudge it not."

Halbarad the Ranger, The Return of the King, JRR Tolkien.

If you or your wife had a injury while on active duty you or her would have been able to use VA for that injury. So as a reminder,if you are currenty in the service,keep copys of your medical record when you are discharged.And the service does keep their word,its just that most people dont read the contract

In 2003 a new law states that if you were not injured during service you will end up being classified as 8G. Currently anyone classed as 8G is not eligible for VA Hospitalization. When I and my wife got out we were guaranteed VA Medical for life. Now, we cannot receive treatment at any VA Hospital and thankfully neither were hurt during service. :blink:

• 2 months later...

I was enlisted AF for 8 years. I went in at 17. I'm glad I did it. Would I do it again, probably. It grew me up, taught me responsibility, organization and leadership. Bear in mind I was a kid.

If I was 30-34 again, and thinking of entering service, I think I would pass. The service is a young man's (person's) game I think. I don't think I have the patience to put up with all the silly sh*t that goes on there anymore. Don't get me wrong, some of it was great, but some of it was just stupid beyond all ability to explain.

There is hardcore iron and steel in Blacky's words. SOME duty assignments are wonderful, absolutely wonderful. You'll be amazed that they PAY YOU to be there. Then there are some duty stations that are the armpit (being nice here) of the world. You'll hate every day you're there and pray to GOD to get you home every night.

I have been to some truly great places in the world, seen sights that there's no way I would have ever seen without the AF putting me there. I am greatful for those experiences and memories.

I have also had the complete opposite. I've been to places and had "experiences" that I could easily live several lifetimes without.

The problem is UNCLE SAM gets to pick which assignments you get, NOT YOU! Sure they give you "preferences", you can fill out a "dream sheet" of assignments you WANT. But that's kind of like calling up a radio station and requesting they play a song for you. It's just a request. They have NO OBLIGATION to ever "give" you an assignment. Even if it's "on paper", they can pull it away again with the all-time great phrase, "The Needs of the Air Force Come First". You will hear that phrase a lot.

You will take what they give you and say, "Thank you may I have another.". Particularly as an officer. You MUST play the political game to survive and be promoted. No matter how stupid your commanding officer is, you can never tell him "Sir, that's a really stupid idea." Even if he/she asks for your HONEST opinion. Your commander controls your destiny, get a good one, that you get along with, GREAT! Get a bad one, that you have conflicts or personality clashes with, YOUR HOSED!

I've had duty stations where I worked 4 10 hour days on a permanent schedule that never changed, with alternating holidays off. That was good duty right there.

I've had one duty station where I was in a deployment unit. That's what we did. We deployed. All the time. Home base duty was for training and equipment repairs. We deployed all year, every year. No such thing as "excercises" for us. On a deployment your first "day" may be between 20 and 40 hours straight. They don't ask you if that's ok.

Our divorce rate in our deployment unit was supposedly the highest in the AF. I don't know if it was true or not, but I would easily put ours at 75%. My wife and I seperated, but got back together. My getting out of AF I think is what saved our marraige. It's the constant time apart that does it. That and some duty stations there is little or nothing for dependent spouses to do. Many "small town" duty stations have extremely high unemployment rates, and civilian spouses have great trouble finding meaningful employment.

If I had a spouse and small child, I think I would pass. It's one thing to sign on for adventure just for yourself, it's another to sign your family up for the same adventure. I got married while in my deployment unit to my civilian girlfriend. I tried to tell her in advance what it would be like, but until you've actually been in it, you really can't get the feel for what life will be like. Then, of course, it's too late, because you're already in it.

Good luck to you either way. I hope I don't sound too negative, I don't mean it to come off that way. And only believe about 20% of what ANY recruiter says. I think they only hire pathological liars to be recruiters!!

:)

I was enlisted AF for 8 years. I went in at 17. I'm glad I did it. Would I do it again, probably. It grew me up, taught me responsibility, organization and leadership. Bear in mind I was a kid.

If I was 30-34 again, and thinking of entering service, I think I would pass. The service is a young man's (person's) game I think. I don't think I have the patience to put up with all the silly sh*t that goes on there anymore. Don't get me wrong, some of it was great, but some of it was just stupid beyond all ability to explain.

There is hardcore iron and steel in Blacky's words. SOME duty assignments are wonderful, absolutely wonderful. You'll be amazed that they PAY YOU to be there. Then there are some duty stations that are the armpit (being nice here) of the world. You'll hate every day you're there and pray to GOD to get you home every night.

I have been to some truly great places in the world, seen sights that there's no way I would have ever seen without the AF putting me there. I am greatful for those experiences and memories.

I have also had the complete opposite. I've been to places and had "experiences" that I could easily live several lifetimes without.

The problem is UNCLE SAM gets to pick which assignments you get, NOT YOU! Sure they give you "preferences", you can fill out a "dream sheet" of assignments you WANT. But that's kind of like calling up a radio station and requesting they play a song for you. It's just a request. They have NO OBLIGATION to ever "give" you an assignment. Even if it's "on paper", they can pull it away again with the all-time great phrase, "The Needs of the Air Force Come First". You will hear that phrase a lot.

You will take what they give you and say, "Thank you may I have another.". Particularly as an officer. You MUST play the political game to survive and be promoted. No matter how stupid your commanding officer is, you can never tell him "Sir, that's a really stupid idea." Even if he/she asks for your HONEST opinion. Your commander controls your destiny, get a good one, that you get along with, GREAT! Get a bad one, that you have conflicts or personality clashes with, YOUR HOSED!

I've had duty stations where I worked 4 10 hour days on a permanent schedule that never changed, with alternating holidays off. That was good duty right there.

I've had one duty station where I was in a deployment unit. That's what we did. We deployed. All the time. Home base duty was for training and equipment repairs. We deployed all year, every year. No such thing as "excercises" for us. On a deployment your first "day" may be between 20 and 40 hours straight. They don't ask you if that's ok.

Our divorce rate in our deployment unit was supposedly the highest in the AF. I don't know if it was true or not, but I would easily put ours at 75%. My wife and I seperated, but got back together. My getting out of AF I think is what saved our marraige. It's the constant time apart that does it. That and some duty stations there is little or nothing for dependent spouses to do. Many "small town" duty stations have extremely high unemployment rates, and civilian spouses have great trouble finding meaningful employment.

If I had a spouse and small child, I think I would pass. It's one thing to sign on for adventure just for yourself, it's another to sign your family up for the same adventure. I got married while in my deployment unit to my civilian girlfriend. I tried to tell her in advance what it would be like, but until you've actually been in it, you really can't get the feel for what life will be like. Then, of course, it's too late, because you're already in it.

Good luck to you either way. I hope I don't sound too negative, I don't mean it to come off that way. And only believe about 20% of what ANY recruiter says. I think they only hire pathological liars to be recruiters!!

:)

1183078[/snapback]

I retired from the Army after 30 years. I was in Special Forces for most of the time, except for schools and spook assigments.

All armed services has you 24/7, 365. TDY for 6 months at a time, unaccompanied

tours for a year and if you live on base/post it will be old substandard housing usually. You can be PCS'd at a moments notice and be unrooted. I moved 8 times in 5 years. We never got unpacked totally many times. This is especially hard hard on the children if you have any.

You wife is behind the promotion curve as an officer being 30. She will be in competition with officers 10 years her jr in age. she will be lucky to retire after 20 years as a Major with 30% of her base pay. Just remember that the AF is built around Flyers and that is were the pomotions go. Fact of life. I had good friens in the AF because I jumped out their planes at lot and the post I was station at the most was next to an AF base.

Be aware that the AF may need her now but if the situation changes as far as the needs of the service is concerned, RIF, she will be let go with a cash settlement and no retirement

You as her spouse will have social obligations as there is unwritten file on the spouse and it does come into play, it's not suppose to, but it does. I'm not going to get into the politics and the back stabbing to make her look bad so someone else looks better.

She might consider going into the AF reserves instead of going on active duty

Col.(ret) David Kelley USA SF

In 2003 a new law states that if you were not injured during service you will end up being classified as 8G. Currently anyone classed as 8G is not eligible for VA Hospitalization. When I and my wife got out we were guaranteed VA Medical for life. Now, we cannot receive treatment at any VA Hospital and thankfully neither were hurt during service. :)

1098711[/snapback]

My father served at Pearl Harbor and the Pacific for WWII; then Korea and then Vietnam retiring after 291/2 at E-8. He then fought the VA for 32 years for 100% service related disability. They finally gave it to him 6 months before he died at 90. The VA killed him by treating him for an allergy when he actually had two heart valves infected. The nurse treating him when he died said that he couldn't believe a man could live for 6 months with his heart infected that badly. I asked why they didn't catch it and he shrugged his shoulders and said that they probably didn't care enough about an old Sargeant to look.

I'm a Vet's son. My brother and two sisters (that's four) have been married 11 times. I went to 7 elementary schools; 2 junior highs and 4 high schools.

As far as I'm concerned my three boys will fight me in the street before they serve an Armed Forces that leaves it's men alive in POW camps but punishes their own for prisoner abuse. The betrayal starts there, but it doesn't end. The VA has now renegged on most of what was ever promised and then the Vets have to fight until the reaper ends it for the rest.

That's not enough for $5k a month IMHO... ask a Blue Star or Gold Star family what they have endured. Hell, 10K isn't enough.

Archived