SASS Wire Forum

Don H.

Don H.

Were is a good place to buy reloads in 44 spl and 38 spl?

Bullets by Scarlett https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/ has .38 spl in smokeless and black powder. Choice Ammunition https://choiceammunition.com/cowboy-action/ has .38 spl and .44 spl in smokeless. Both are HUGE supporters of cowboy shooting and the shooting sports in general. You won't go wrong with either of them.

Thanks for the follow up information, I have acquired a Rossi R92 chambered in 44 from a retired member, prepped and ready for comp. However Ammo for it is rather expensive. May have to learn to reload myself?

Thinking I might sell the 44 and go to a 357/38 depends on what I can get for it. I was looking at the New Rossi R92 with Octagon barrel 24" what do you think? 

IMNSHO, depending on how often you'll be shooting, whether you'll be using the rifle for other uses, how serious you want to compete, whethher you prefer a rifle or carbine configuration the following might be considered:

1 - reloading WILL save you money.  How quickly your investment will pay for itself will depend on how often you'll be shooting and how much your initial investment is.   Reloading ain't rocket science, but it does require attention to details, best learned under tutelage of a mentor; but can be learned independently.

2 - The Rossi is generally regarded as a good gun, requiring work to be slick and dependable.  It also lacks "go fast" aftermarket parts like the Uberti '73/66 do.

3 -  A 24" octagon barrel is found by some to have it's inherent accuracy advantage more than offset by it's added weight.  I find that front weight to aid offhand steadiness, but it is more mass to both start and stop moving.  My compromise is a "short rifle", a bit heavier that a carbine, but "more maneuverable than the full length rifle.

4 - Lastly be very aware of magazine capacity, The vast majority of stages require 10 rounds, and you cannot start with a round chambered, except in extremely rare instances.  So rare in fact, that I can only recall 1 or 2 times over the past 38+ years 

Archived