SASS Wire Forum

Gun Smith Needed

Posted (edited)

'Reline'????????

Don't both use .313/.314 bullets?

Ain't no gunsmith, but I would think you would cut off  the rear of the barrel (chamber portion), Re-cut the chamber for .32 H&R specs, 

and that would do it as far as the barrel is concerned.

BUT..... you might have to modify the bolt face, depending upon the rifle you have.

And, depending upon the rifle and model, you might have to correct the timing depending upon your ammo length.

..........Widder

Edited by Widder, SASS #59054
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey to all,  sorry about being late to reply but have been shooting today.  OK, more information.  The barrel is shot out.  No bulges outside but some wash out inside.  Lots of black powder has been shot in it.  Tried to clean it up as much as I can and shot it today.  It will shoot.  It will not cycle.  Will not pull a round from the magazine and chamber it.  It ejects a spent round well.  The carrier is not moving the live round up to the chamber and this creates a jam at the mag tube.  I was going to restore it as well as I could but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it and still have a shot out barrel.  This is a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 and it's age has been estimated at estimated between 60 and 100 years old.  It has a nice patina finish and the wood is not terrible.  Both sites need work.  Just trying to decide if I want to purchase or not, and then go forward with restoration.  Thanks to Black Jack and Okie for working with me on it today.

If the carrier is not moving, you've got a problem with either the carrier and / or a section of the lever the carrier interfaces with.

My guess, the carrier is the old style and the pivoting arm on the left side is the culprit.   Its either broken, cruded up, or a spring

has lost its 'stuff'.   And certain styles also used a small ball bearing to help make them work.  If its missing, that's also part of

the problem.

A good, knowledgeable Marlin smith should be able to look at it and tell you exactly what's going wrong with it.

Its slightly possible the carrier may have been replaced with a newer style carrier and the plunger stud has broken off

its security washer.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder, appreciate your thoughts.  Got to shoot with a friend of yours today, "Ozark Okie".  He values your opinion highly.  Thanks for taking the time to share the info, I will keep updating as I get further into the project.

12 minutes ago, String Shot said:

Thanks Widder, appreciate your thoughts.  Got to shoot with a friend of yours today, "Ozark Okie".  He values your opinion highly.  Thanks for taking the time to share the info, I will keep updating as I get further into the project.

Okie is a fine feller.   I've always enjoyed talking with him on the phone.   He is also fairly knowledgeable of Marlins and some of the

interactions of the parts inside.   He might be a good choice to look at your Marlin and see what might be going on inside.

Keep us updated.

..........Widder