SASS Wire Forum

125gr vs 158gr for .357 Henry Lever

I need to blind buy some FMJ bullets. Both are TC and will load to the same OAL when crimped at the cannelure. My main concern is reliability. Should I expect any difference when used in a henry lever? Also, I assume that if I develop the load properly accuracy between the two bullets should be similar, correct?

I use the 158 TC from SNS castings and they are a dream to use with 2.9 gns of TB if you can get it. Unique works just as good.

I use the 125TC in my pistols with same powder, and there is about 1mm shorter then the 158 round. Both work in the Uberti 73, I use the pistol rounds for reloads being a tad shorter.

Both run pretty clean too.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have two thoughts.

While you didn't say you planned on using these for the game, you are aware that full metal jacket is illegal, right?

And second, using full metal jacket bullets in a tubular magazine is asking for a kaboom.

13 minutes ago, Alpo said:

While you didn't say you planned on using these for the game, you are aware that full metal jacket is illegal, right?

And second, using full metal jacket bullets in a tubular magazine is asking for a kaboom.

Good points right here.^^^^^^

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Good points right here.^^^^^^

“Illegal” for SASS, not under the law.

I am assuming TC stands for truncated cone bullets, correct?

If the nose is wider than a Small Magnum Pistol Primer they should be just fine in your Henry. 

OP, do not be surprised if the same cartridge's accuracy from a rifle is not the same as from a handgun. Sometimes it’s better, sometimes it’s worse. In my experience great pistol loads are great rifle loads about 50% of the time. The other 50% may hit too low or may not group well. There is only one way to find out. Shoot ‘em. 

And Welcome to The Saloon! :)

• Like 1