SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Parts

ZigMar

Does anyone know of a source the parts (in stock) required to convert a set of Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolvers in .45 Colt with bird's head grips to traditional plow handle grips?  I believe it can be done, please kindly correct me if that's not true, and that it wouldn't be cheap, but cheaper than a brace of new pistols.  I can find what I think would be required parts, but can't find a place that has the parts in stock.  Am I just SOL?

Yes, the gripframes should swap fine.

Did you check VTI / Cimarron / Taylors / Dixie ?  Also, I think the triggerguard is the same so you might not need that.  If you can get an assembly it would be best, otherwise you will probably need to do grip fitting which will go through the Urethane finish (good excuse to give it an oil finish).  Or just get the gripframe and pick up some aftermarket grips from numerous sources.

On the other hand, try putting a WTT on the classifieds.  Some folks like those Birdsheads and might trade you.  That's how I got Navy grips I wanted when I had Army grips.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:44 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Try Numrich.

Thanks, but I looked at Numrich and no joy.  In fact, I've noticed that Numrich doesn't have as much in the way of gun parts as they used to... just my opinion though.

VTI Gun Parts for Uberti 1873 Cattleman SAA and Target

You can get just the backstrap, item 8 UB05008 Grip Frame, Steel - $58.50 and the Trigger Guard, item 26, UB005026 - $69.75 without a grip,  or you can get the assembly, Item 11 UB005011/Assy, Steel Grip Frame & Trigger guard $199.50.  I'd suggest calling to ensure stock on hand before ordering.  I'd also consider getting the hardened screw set at the same time.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:29 PM, ZigMar said:

Does anyone know of a source the parts (in stock) required to convert a set of Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolvers in .45 Colt with bird's head grips to traditional plow handle grips?  I believe it can be done, please kindly correct me if that's not true, and that it wouldn't be cheap, but cheaper than a brace of new pistols.  I can find what I think would be required parts, but can't find a place that has the parts in stock.  Am I just SOL?

VTI Gunparts