SASS Wire Forum

Another mention of the Southern Pacific 4294

In the california public school system there exists an interesting thing known as the “Fourth Grade Mission Project.”  During the fourth grade, kids engage in a study of the California Missions, write a report and either individually or as teams construct a model of one of the missions.

In preparation for this, during the summer of 2002 between third and fourth grades, Sassparilla Kid’s mom and I took him to three different missions on weekend trips.  And I helped guide the Kid in preliminary research and search for plans and materials for his project.

Well, with the school year underway, the day came for the assignments.  At supper that night, we eagerly asked the Kid which mission he had chosen.  His reply was NOT what I expected:  “Dad!  They announced that they were gonna try something different this year!  We got to choose from some ‘non-mission’ projects, and I picked somethin’ else really cool!”

Hmph.  So much for preparation.

Okay… so what project did you get…?

“Well, Dad – I chose the Transcontinental Railroad!  Wanna help me?”

I did, and it WAS cool.

Beyond the academic guidance, I happened to have a resource:  a good buddy who had a railroad history, of sorts. 

When Bob was a kid, his dad bought an old lumber camp, and built the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad.  Buying and restoring a couple of old Shay locomotives, he turned it into a dandy tourist attraction with two miles of track.  After he retired, his oldest son, Max, continued to run the operation.  (Max and Bob actually lived and grew up on site).

So I called Bob, and asked if he could arrange for the Kid to interview Max.  He did, and on the scheduled Saturday, we presented ourselves at Max’s house on site.  Over a nice breakfast, the Kid interviewed Max about steam railroad; history, operations, and more.  When the coffee and cocoa were done, Max asked the Kid if he’d like a tour of the shop and a locomotive – of course he would! 

And then came something really neat: Max showed the Kid how to do a pre-firing inspection of the Shay locomotive scheduled for the morning runs; checking lubricating oil, grease, fuel oil and water levels, brakes… the entire list.  And when they completed the cab check, under his close direction, Max actually had the Kid fire off the oil burner.  They kept busy with a multitude of tasks and lectures, until finally enough steam was raised to move the engine – at which time Max had the Kid “drive” the locomotive out of the barn and into position to start the day.  There’s something special about watching your ten-year old operate a real steam locomotive – that was terrific day. ^_^

In all, the Kid spent several delightful hours with Max and his toys.

One week later, off to the Rail Museum in Sacramento for more "research."  Another fulfulling trip, and the youngster was able to find a great deal of information and material for his project.  But, at one point after the “work” part of the trip was over, we found ourselves walking around Southern Pacific 4294 - "The Million Pound Beast."  And a really cool beast she is!  

When we climbed into 4294’s very spacious cab we noted a really bored looking docent perched on a stool, studiously ignoring us and another small family.  The Kid looked about, and began describing to me the various gauges and controls.  “Yeah, Dad, here’s the steam heat gauge, the steam pressure gauge, the water level sight glass…. brake lever, the Johnson bar, of course, and here’s the reverser…” and so on.  I listened attentively, and surprisingly, so did the bored docent – he was sideways focused on fourth-grader lecturing his dad.

Eventually, he stepped back, put his fists on his hips, looked about, and declared “ya know, some of it might be bigger, but this is pretty much the same as that Shay locomotive I was driving last weekend.”

When he said that, there was a loud “thump!” as the docent’s boots hit the deck, and with an astonished look on his face he burst out “What!  What did you say, kid?  You got to drive a Shay!?”  Startled the heck outta both of us, but led into a lengthy discussion and personalized teaching session between the grizzled old railroader and the kid. 

What fun!  :lol:

Oh - and the Kid got an A++ on his report and project.  :)

300px-Southern_Pacific_4294%2C_a_cab-forward_steam_locomotive.jpg           image.thumb.png.ff056a10ff308aa21098a06fe9465217.png

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Love those Shays! Got a N scale one on my layout.

• Thanks 1

This maybe a bit off the intent of the topic but, But it is railway. The title reminded me that in Dec 2021 the Canadian Pacific Railway bought out the Kansas City Southern Railway for US$30 billion. It is now called the Canadian Pacific Kansas City Railway (CPKC).  The CPKC is the first and only single line railway connecting Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.  I haven't seen any KCS rolling stock go through our town yet but, almost every train going through has at least one KCS engine. I suspect that there will be a new rolling stock color scheme in the near future.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for it.

• Like 2

Can't do nothin' right! Got the boiler put on off-center! (That's to counterbalance the driving cylinders, in case some don't know I'm kidding.)  Those Southern Pacific cab-forward Mallet's are something else, as well. Good thing they burn oil, as firing coal might be a tad difficult from up front! ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A couple or so miscellaneous rambling points....

First off, @Buffalo Creek Law Dog, train stuff ain't never in the wrong spot on a train discussion.  ^_^

Now, on the california public school system's Mission project, there are - not surprisingly - wacko left forces at work trying hard to stop it.  They've been at it for quite some time; hopefully they'll never succeed.  I've wondered if that might have been how the Kid came to have a "choice" some twenty-two years ago.

I once dated a "train gal."  In fact, she was actually a retired trainmaster.  She called me a "foamer.*" :(  At Boy Scout camp one summer I met a dad who was a Railroad Merit Badge counselor - qualified by his job working for BNSF. When I told him about this gal one night at campfire he laughed so hard he literally almost fell off the log he was sitting on.  :rolleyes:

image.png.b50ea4f654898e5fe94d01927ac5ee10.png

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1