SASS Wire Forum

Anyone added a super Blackhawk grip frame to a Vaquero

Wild Willi

I've added the Ruger Super Blackhawk grip frames (see the link below for the frames I used) to a pair of OM Vaqueros and a pair NM Vaqueros without any additional parts.  However, if you have NM Vaqueros, with the lock mechanism in the grip frame, I'm not sure if there might be an issue with the main spring strut.  Maybe someone else will chime in on this point.

I did some filing and sanding on the new SS grip frames to fit my Vaqueros, but only on the new grip frames.  I taped up the areas that came in contact with the new grip frames so I wouldn't have any unwanted scratching.  I now have the ability to pull off the new grip frames and put the original ones back on if I want.

Ruger Grip Frame Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter SS (midwayusa.com)

I love the Super Blackhawk grip frames on my Vaqueros; I can get all my fingers on the grip frames.  It gives you the feel of an 1860 Colt grip.

If you want a more hand filling grip look into aftermarket stocks that extend below the bottom of the grip frame.  Eagle Grips just announced one and there’s another company (Texas grips, maybe) that has been making them for years.

• Like 2