SASS Wire Forum

WB Legal 1911 Grip Safety for GI Style Hammer Spur?

July Smith

I would like to give Wild Bunch a try and am interested in shooting in the Traditional category.  I once had a nice Colt series 70, but sold it off because the large hammer spur combined with the small grip safety always drew blood.  Are there any grip safety options that are legal for WB traditional category that will eliminate hammer bite?

Edited by July Smith
  • Like 1

I have the scars on my hand to prove I have shot a lot of 1911s like you describe. You need to stick with the traditional grip safety for Traditional Category, BUT, you can bob the hammer spur a little to eliminate the bite. I think this would still be legal.

Well my account on the WB forum has yet to be approved and now the site appears to be down for maintenance, so I'll try asking here again.  Are there any Traditional WB legal grip safeties that reduce hammer bite?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, July Smith said:

Well my account on the WB forum has yet to be approved and now the site appears to be down for maintenance, so I'll try asking here again.  Are there any Traditional WB legal grip safeties that reduce hammer bite?

Not in Traditional, only those from 1911s and 1911A1s. Even though the A1 safety is an improvement, they will still allow a full length hammer to gnaw on your hand. Going to a Target hammer may help, and since those were the original on 1911s when accepted, they should be legal.

@July Smith have you read the rulebook? I don’t do WBAS so I don’t know a thing about it, but I know there’s a rulebook. 

Here:

https://www.sassnet.com/uploads/downloads/Shooters Handbooks - WBAS/WBAS 2024 SHB Vers. 17.3 - 2.1.24.pdf

3 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

@July Smith have you read the rulebook? I don’t do WBAS so I don’t know a thing about it, but I know there’s a rulebook. 

Here:

https://www.sassnet.com/uploads/downloads/Shooters Handbooks - WBAS/WBAS 2024 SHB Vers. 17.3 - 2.1.24.pdf

Yes I read through it, before posting, but thanks for the link.

From page 13, "- Only standard grip safeties are allowed. No beavertail style grip safeties."  I was curious if there was a safety that would be considered "standard" that might help with hammer bite.  I am not the only shooter with this issue so I am sort of surprised this is not a more common topic (at least when looking through archived WB topics).  Maybe a pair of fingerless leather gloves is the solution?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

Yes I read through it, before posting, but thanks for the link.

From page 13, "- Only standard grip safeties are allowed. No beavertail style grip safeties."  I was curious if there was a safety that would be considered "standard" that might help with hammer bite.  I am not the only shooter with this issue so I am sort of surprised this is not a more common topic (at least when looking through archived WB topics).  Maybe a pair of fingerless leather gloves is the solution?  

I have had the same problem with 1911s. But it has been so long since I first shot 1911s in the Navy I don’t recall getting bit until I bought my 1991A1. I put a beavertail on that one. 
I would definitely consider a glove or gloves. 

EDIT: My hands weren’t fat until I got older. Maybe that’s why I never had a problem until later. :lol:

Edited by Pat Riot