SASS Wire Forum

NMV gate/cylinder issue

Augustus Nichols

Was doing a spring swap this evening on a Bisley NMV and while I was in there, removed to indexing detent for free spin. Re assembled the gun and now when I open the gate,  the cylinder wont turn unless I pull back the hammer just a touch, and will not turn counter clockwise at all.  I've checked the gate spring  (it's in place) and checked bolt drop with the gate open and it is retracted as it should be. Rotation with the hammer is fine, trigger is fine. I've taken it apart 3 times and reinstalled everything and still doing it. Any ideas that I may be missing??

13 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not all Ruger pawls are fitted correctly.  Put the detent back in and see if it works OK.  If so leave it alone.

Nope, same thing.......

From your description, it sounds like the hammer plunger and spring are either missing or not operating properly.  When the hammer is drawn back, the spring loaded plunger presses the rear tang of the cylinder latch, releasing the cylinder to spin.  The plunger needs to be cleaned and lubricated from time to time, and it can fall out easily on disassembly if it's little locking pin is loose.  

• Like 1

Took it apart again to check the plunger, it was working as it should.  Re assembled and same thing. Dug through my spare parts to see what I had to try and found a used pawl. Swapped them out and the gun works now. I don't see anything visually wrong with the one that came out of it but it works now

• Like 2

Like I said Ruger pawls are often not fitted correctly.  It only takes a thousand or two to go from working to non-working.  Congratulations on solving the problem.

Just FYI,

Fitting of a Vaquero pawl (or "hand") needs to be a slow, careful process.  It  probably should not be tried by an inexperienced kitchen table gunsmith unless you have a spare, stand-by, working part and someone knowledgable to call for help. 

Fitting the length and both tip angles of the second, lower pawl spur is a critical fitting job.  If the length is a thousandth or two too long or short,  the gun's timing will be affected.  If the TWO release angles are incorrect, with respect to the cylinder ratchet angles, over time and use, the hardened hand will improperly wear the softer cylinder ratchet ledges, eventually putting the cylinder rotation out of time (always at the worst possible moment of an important match). 

Like all gunsmithing, make sure you understand how it all works before you start modifying parts. 

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale

9 hours ago, Augustus Nichols said:

Took it apart again to check the plunger, it was working as it should.  Re assembled and same thing. Dug through my spare parts to see what I had to try and found a used pawl. Swapped them out and the gun works now. I don't see anything visually wrong with the one that came out of it but it works now

Call Ruger and get a spare.

You'll need it sooner or later.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Call Ruger and get a spare.

You'll need it sooner or later.

Planned on it lol

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Just FYI,

Fitting of a Vaquero pawl (or "hand") needs to be a slow, careful process.  It  probably should not be tried by an inexperienced kitchen table gunsmith unless you have a spare, stand-by, working part and someone knowledgable to call for help. 

Fitting both the length and both tip angles of the second, lower pawl spur is a critical fitting job.  If the length is a thousandth or two too long or short,  the gun's timing will be affected.  If the TWO release angles are incorrect, with respect to the cylinder ratchet angles, over time and use, the hardened hand will improperly wear the softer cylinder ratchet ledges, eventually putting the cylinder rotation out of time (always at the worst possible moment of an important match). 

Like all gunsmithing, make sure you understand how it all works before you start modifying parts. 

Double checked everything. Timing is pretty darn spot on

• Like 1