SASS Wire Forum

Front Sight

Yul Lose

Started reading this the other night and it’s turned into a good read. Charles Swagger, Bob The Nailers father is the character in the first story. Set in the 30’s in Chicago looking for Baby Face Nelson.

IMG_4759.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I thought his daddy was Earl?

Hot Springs, Pale Horse Coming, Havana.

havana-9780743457972_hr.jpg

According to the book Front Sight on page 43-44 Charles is the father to both Earl and Bobby Lee. Earl is a marine and Bob Lee is at home cutting himself and they’re trying to get him help.

Edited by Yul Lose

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

According to the book Front Sight on page 43-44 Charles is the father to both Earl and Bobby Lee. Earl is a marine and Bob Lee is at home cutting himself and they’re trying to get him help.

There must be some discontinuities somewhere, assuming I’m half remembering the books correctly. 

Bob Lee was “Bob the Nailer” a Marine from Vietnam, a loner who occasionally has to apply his unique skills.

Earl was his dad who was a cop in Hot Springs, Arkansas during Prohibition.

I’ll have to read this one for more detail.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

There must be some discontinuities somewhere, assuming I’m half remembering the books correctly. 

Bob Lee was “Bob the Nailer” a Marine from Vietnam, a loner who occasionally has to apply his unique skills.

Earl was his dad who was a cop in Hot Springs, Arkansas during Prohibition.

I’ll have to read this one for more detail.

I thought the same thing. 

According to the blurb on Amazon, this book - 3 novellas - has one about Charles the grandpa in the 30s, second one about Earl the daddy in World War II, and the third one about Bob Lee the son. Three novellas, three generations.

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

According to the blurb on Amazon, this book - 3 novellas - has one about Charles the grandpa in the 30s, second one about Earl the daddy in World War II, and the third one about Bob Lee the son. Three novellas, three generations.

Could be, haven’t got that far yet.

On 2/5/2024 at 5:35 AM, Alpo said:

I thought his daddy was Earl?

Hot Springs, Pale Horse Coming, Havana.

havana-9780743457972_hr.jpg

You don’t suppose the author has lost track of his characters, do you? He again makes mention of his ill son (Bob Lee) and Earl in the Marine Corps, on page 143.

That is possible. W e b Griffin does what is known as retcon all the time in his books. He will do something and book number one and then in book number two it is totally different.

Maybe Mr Hunter is trying something different. Maybe Bob Lee and Earl are brothers, and Bob Lee dies, and Earl names his son after his brother. That would end up having both a son named Bob Lee and a grandson named Bob Lee.

• Thanks 1