SASS Wire Forum

Sure hit sight light duty vs super light 1873 rifle main spring

Fill Yer Hand

The extra light can be too light to consistently set off non federal primers. If I remember correctly it is more designed for rifles with the one pc firing pin mod such as the one by Snake Oil George. I have this mod on my rifle and would highly recommend it. 

9 minutes ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

The extra light can be too light to consistently set off non federal primers. If I remember correctly it is more designed for rifles with the one pc firing pin mod such as the one by Snake Oil George. I have this mod on my rifle and would highly recommend it. 

Just curious as to why?  What makes the mod different than factory?  Thanks.

Roper

The one pc mod features a single pc firing pin that extends through the firing pin extension as well as the bolt eliminating the extra "step" in the travel. Less mass to move so less energy required. On a stock setup the hammer strikes the firing pin extension which then impacts the bolt.(2 pcs between the hammer and the primer.)

It's kinda like taking out the transfer bar and modifying the hammers so the hammer directly strikes the firing pin on a Vaquero.

Edited by Palmetto Traveller
additional info

4 hours ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

The one pc mod features a single pc firing pin that extends through the firing pin extension as well as the bolt eliminating the extra "step" in the travel. Less mass to move so less energy required. On a stock setup the hammer strikes the firing pin extension which then impacts the bolt.(2 pcs between the hammer and the primer.)

It's kinda like taking out the transfer bar and modifying the hammers so the hammer directly strikes the firing pin on a Vaquero.

Thanks!