SASS Wire Forum

For Sale S&W #3 Russian New Model

4 3/4" barrel, ivory grips, engraving by Aspen Filly, .44 Russian, excellent condition. I've owned this for 30 plus years, it was my main match gun for a few years until I found a match to my Schofield. I bought it from a dealer who said it was used as a bowling pin gun by a local gunsmith/ shooter. $2500. I can bring it to GOP, EOT or most any match in S. AZ

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Navy Davey said:

Is that nickel or stainless,.

?

Well a magnet sticks to it, so I assume it's nickle, but there is absolutely no flaking. Maybe it was redone when the barrel was shortened, the finish is better than my 2 150 years younger.Performance Center Schofields 

2 hours ago, Kodiak Bill said:

I’m going to buy this as soon as you guys buy the stuff I have for sale.

Not if my lottery ticket hits tonight !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Can you post a photo of the barrel marking?

There are no barrel markings here is what Wikipedia says about the #3.

The Model 3 was originally chambered for the .44 S&W American and .44 Russian cartridges, and typically did not have the cartridge information stamped on the gun (as is standard practice for most commercial firearms). Model 3 revolvers were later produced in an assortment of calibers, including .44 Henry Rimfire, .44-40, .32-44, .38-44, and .45 Schofield. The design influenced the smaller S&W .38 Single Action that is retroactively referred to as the Model 2.[2]

IMG_2874.jpg

There was someone questioning whether it was a #3 Russian model. Here is an email conversation I had with Roy Jinks the Historian from S&W.

Bob, the gun in the picture is a Model 3 Russian First Model manufactured in 1872. It appears as if the barrel has been shortened and the ivory grips added. It is not a Schofield. I hope that this helps. Roy G. Jinks, Historian, Smith & Wesson
----- Original Message -----
To: Roy Jinks
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 8:26 PM
Subject: Re: Old S&W

Thanks for the help.

Bob Stubbs

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Roy Jinks <willow@crocker.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Old S&W
To: "Bob Stubbs" <gozfst@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 10:32 AM

You can send a picture if you want me to identify it. Roy G. Jinks, Historian, Smith & Wesson
To: Roy Jinks
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: Old S&W

I have been told different things by a couple of people. I can send you a picture if that will help. It's a top break, single action .44 Russian. No hump on the grip and the release is on the barrel.
Thanks

Bob Stubbs

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Roy Jinks <willow@crocker.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Old S&W
To: "Bob Stubbs" <gozfst@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 8:46 AM

Bob, if you have identified it correctly the Smith & Wesson Model 3 Russian First Model serial number 9538 would have been shipped in 1872. I hope that this helps. Roy G. Jinks, Historian, Smith & Wesson
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 11:30 AM
Subject: Old S&W

I have a REALLY nice old Smith I was hoping you could identify the year of manufacture. I'm told it is a first model Russian. It is a top break single action in 44 Russian. The serial number is 9538. I have 2 Schofields and several other nice S&W's but this is by far my favorite.
Thanks

Bob Stubbs

I didn’t realize there was a question of what model this is. It looks like the Smith historian said “if” you have identified it.

I looked at it in Yuma. It is an early Smith & Wesson Number 3 Russian 1st Model. Caliber .44 Russian. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks Bob.  Mystery solved, it seems.  At some point in its life, your Number 3 Russian 1st (not New, i.e., 3rd) Model had its barrel shortened, its butt swivel removed, its walnut grips replaced, its surfaces engraved, and its barrel marking (RUSSIAN MODEL) removed.  It is a beautiful shooter chambered for an iconic black powder cartridge that was the forerunner of most future powerful .44 cartridges!!

Edited by Nostrum Damus SASS #110702