SASS Wire Forum

Question for shooters from outside the US

Doc Moses

In early March I am doing a weeklong course on CAS at the private religious HS/MS in which I teach.  Day 1 in the NRA handgun class and a 2nd amendment review. Days 2-5 we go to ranges and shoot matches here in East Texas. Can anyone tell me what the rules for gun ownership are in your country?  How has it changed recently?  I want to contrast our fairly unique rights to other people's rights. I think asking actual shooters from other nations will provide a more realistic outlook on what a shooter actually goes through in other nations vs a Google search. If you are a US citizen but have had international experiences please feel free to chime in. Thanks!

PS A big shout out to Nomad's Tactical range for hosting us on Day 2 for our NRA qual and The Fort Parker Patriots, Texas Trouble Makers, and Oakwood Outlaws for hosting a match the other three days!  This is the Trouble Makers and Outlaws second time to host. 20 students ages 13-18. Goodtimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

In California(YES, it's a foreign country), you can only own handguns that the state approves of. ;)

When I teach about different state laws I will ask if that sounds like it adheres to the supremacy clause. We don't get a lot of snow flakes here but we do have a boarding program with 120 students. It will be interesting to hear what they think.

A little research can go a long ways. Most European countries permit firearms, but levels of restrictions vary. 

As one example, I know Norwegians who own lots of guns. Shooting competitions there are a national sport, with hundreds and thousands attending matches. Lots of kids and youth categories. Way bigger deal than anything here.

There are usually licensing regulations. 

I once took a grandson's French exchange student along with the grandson to the range. The 17-year-old French kid was very familiar with rifles, and had done a lot of shooting and hunting back home.

• Like 2

My friend in Sweden told me that owning a handgun is difficult, but a rifle is fairly easy to own. The kicker (at the time in 2005) was that you were not allowed to own any firearm that used military caliber ammunition. Unless you were in the military or a reserve unit. Things may have changed since then (for better or worse, who knows).

• Like 1

You might consider checking club listings in the Cowboy Chronicle or on the SASS website for non-USA club contacts.

Most have contact phone numbers and/or website links with email addresses.

• Thanks 2

My Norwegian and Swedish friends own lots of rifles. They can own handguns, but they are more regulated. 

Scandinavian countries have a major hunting culture and so firearms are commonplace, as are organized shooting competitions.

The use suppressors on their rifles when hunting. Required some places, strongly encouraged by custom other places. Considered a matter of courtesy while hunting to keep the noise down for the citizenry.

On the other hand, if you own a suppressor in Belgium, it's straight to jail....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1