SASS Wire Forum

“All purpose” .45lc load

ACP

3 hours ago, ACP said:

Is the 225g simply what you started with and found no need to change or is there a reason why you prefer it to 255 ? 

The 225 is a truncated cone and while it has a sharp corner at the leading edge of the front driving band, it doesn't have a lip with a 90º corner, so it cycles thru my Uberti '60, both '73s, Rossi '92 & Marlin '94 with equal ease, unlike a 255 SWC.  A traditional RFN @ 250 or 255 grains has a rather small meplat for a levergun, IMO.  I've tried a number of 45 bullet weights & shapes, but don't favor them in my rifles for different reasons.  For BP loads, most don't carry enough lube for a rifle.  My favorite .45 bullet of all time is the now discontinued Speer "Flying Ashtray".  In front of an appropriate load of smokeless, I've found it unsurpassed as a SD/hunting where total transfer of energy is preferable to total penetration, be it from 1911, SAA or levergun.

I have molds for 160, 185, 200, 225, 250 & 255 grain bullets, SWC, RFN & TC nose shapes, I cast in all of them, load them all for different purposes

6 minutes ago, Griff said:

The 225 is a truncated cone and while it has a sharp corner at the leading edge of the front driving band, it doesn't have a lip with a 90º corner, so it cycles thru my Uberti '60, both '73s, Rossi '92 & Marlin '94 with equal ease, unlike a 255 SWC.  A traditional RFN @ 250 or 255 grains has a rather small meplat for a levergun, IMO.  I've tried a number of 45 bullet weights & shapes, but don't favor them in my rifles for different reasons.  For BP loads, most don't carry enough lube for a rifle.  My favorite .45 bullet of all time is the now discontinued Speer "Flying Ashtray".  In front of an appropriate load of smokeless, I've found it unsurpassed as a SD/hunting where total transfer of energy is preferable to total penetration, be it from 1911, SAA or levergun.

I have molds for 160, 185, 200, 225, 250 & 255 grain bullets, SWC, RFN & TC nose shapes, I cast in all of them, load them all for different purposes

Great info I appreciate you going into some depth on the selection. In short it seems nothing inherently wrong with the 255 weight, but if using in pistol and rifle both , a Keith style 255 may have issues feeding in the rifle action correct? 

For hardness, do you have any preferences or recommendations? 

37 minutes ago, ACP said:

Great info I appreciate you going into some depth on the selection. In short it seems nothing inherently wrong with the 255 weight, but if using in pistol and rifle both , a Keith style 255 may have issues feeding in the rifle action correct? 

Operative word:  "may".  

38 minutes ago, ACP said:

For hardness, do you have any preferences or recommendations? 

Yes, and yes... but, IMO bullet to barrel fit is more important than a specific Bhn.  For pistol cartridges, whether in a rifle or pistol straight WWs work  In the 4 rifle cartridges I cast for, I add 1 part linotype to every 6 parts WWs and use a gas check.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Operative word:  "may".  

Yes, and yes... but, IMO bullet to barrel fit is more important than a specific Bhn.  For pistol cartridges, whether in a rifle or pistol straight WWs work  In the 4 rifle cartridges I cast for, I add 1 part linotype to every 6 parts WWs and use a gas check.

On gas checks, I see these offered on more “premium” ammo. I’m not familiar with the advantages however, what makes it an applicable addition to these loads? Thanks for the education 

26 minutes ago, ACP said:

On gas checks, I see these offered on more “premium” ammo. I’m not familiar with the advantages however, what makes it an applicable addition to these loads? Thanks for the education 

Helps prevent leading.  Even fairly hard lead bullets, if pushed fast enough can have lead stripped off and deposited in the grooves.  It can be a bear to remove.  Velocity, finish/condition of bore, & lead alloy can all be contributing factors.

42 minutes ago, Griff said:

Helps prevent leading.  Even fairly hard lead bullets, if pushed fast enough can have lead stripped off and deposited in the grooves.  It can be a bear to remove.  Velocity, finish/condition of bore, & lead alloy can all be contributing factors.

Thank you, makes plenty of sense to add to a cast load 

2 hours ago, ACP said:

Gas checks are not SASS legal ;)

REVOLVER AND RIFLE AMMUNITION

- May not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, hollow point, plated, or gas checked. It must be all lead. Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable.

SHB p.26

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Perhaps if the Handbook wasn't written in Latin...

:mellow:

Sorry (NOT!)...that's the only "foreign" language I took in high school. :P

Had to learn "gub'mint-ese" OTJ. B)

But wait!
There's more!

Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.

SHB p.30

10 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Sorry (NOT!)...that's the only "foreign" language I took in high school. :P

Had to learn "gub'mint-ese" OTJ. B)

I just figured that it had to be written in Latin...since it seems sooooo many folks don't read it.

:o

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I just figured that it had to be written in Latin...since it seems sooooo many folks don't read it.

:o

Phantom

Ita certe interdum videtur!  :rolleyes:

Archived