SASS Wire Forum

Question about Marine Corps ribbon.

I just finished watching "The Pacific" WW II series the other night and I have a question about one of the ribbons being worn.  It was a simple Red/White/Blue in three equal horizontal stripes.  I recognized the other ribbons, but I don't recall ever seeing a similar ribbon anywhere.  That's why I suspect it may be unique to the Marine Corps.  Several (all?) of the Marines had the same ribbon and it was positioned to the right of the Theatre of Operations ribbons.

Thanks

Angus

The Armed Forces Superstore ribbon builder does not show a ribbon as described.

It could be a foreign award, that may or may not have been officially authorized.

Or, it may be a studio prop...

The Navy Presidential Unit Citation is red, yellow and blue.

image.png.dabc47ebd595ddef1cfb36fa7593d8ed.png

36 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

The Armed Forces Superstore ribbon builder does not show a ribbon as described.

It could be a foreign award, that may or may not have been officially authorized.

Or, it may be a studio prop...

The Navy Presidential Unit Citation is red, yellow and blue.

image.png.dabc47ebd595ddef1cfb36fa7593d8ed.png

That's what it looked like, except I'm pretty sure the middle stripe was white.  I have seen that ribbon before.  Probably my old eyes trying to see small things on a tv.

It was the 1st Marine Division wearing it.  Is that strictly a Marine/Navy Corps ribbon?  I seem to recall seeing Presidential Unit Citations on Army uniforms that were different.

Thanks

Could it have been this?

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon

image.png.6c79909bc5b61a815bdcbad4d8525c4f.png

Foreign military unit members who are authorized to wear this unit award, either wear the award on the right side of the uniform (e.g., United States Army) with any other same size unit award emblems or wear the slightly smaller size version of the award on the left side of the uniform (e.g., United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, United States Coast Guard, United States Air Force) with their other service ribbons. 

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

That's what it looked like, except I'm pretty sure the middle stripe was white.  I have seen that ribbon before.  Probably my old eyes trying to see small things on a tv.

It was the 1st Marine Division wearing it.  Is that strictly a Marine/Navy Corps ribbon?  I seem to recall seeing Presidential Unit Citations on Army uniforms that were different.

Thanks

I do believe that a uniformed service member serving with a branch other than their own can be awarded the ribbons/medals that are awarded to the branch in which they are serving.  I may be wrong, though.

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Could it have been this?

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon

image.png.6c79909bc5b61a815bdcbad4d8525c4f.png

Foreign military unit members who are authorized to wear this unit award, either wear the award on the right side of the uniform (e.g., United States Army) with any other same size unit award emblems or wear the slightly smaller size version of the award on the left side of the uniform (e.g., United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, United States Coast Guard, United States Air Force) with their other service ribbons. 

No, definitely not.  Colors are in the wrong order and alignment.  Top stripe - Red.  Middle stripe - White (At least I thought so, maybe yellow).  Bottom stripe - Blue.

Archived