SASS Wire Forum

Norinco 97 serial numbers

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Does anyone know if there is any way to check the serial number of a Norinco 97 shotgun to determine when it was made?

By the same token, does anyone know WHERE the serial number is located on their Trenchgun?  I can't find it.  All that's left for me to do is find a big long screwdriver to take the shoulder stock off and see of it's hidden by it.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Check right side of carrier after opening action, look for engraved (not stamped) numbers.

My source for this:

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/norinco-m97-serial.19894/

Thanks, John.

I looked and did find some scratches that do correspond to the number on the Mass registration form.  But as soon as I saw them, I thought no way is that a legal serial number marking.  It would polish away with minimal effort.  Long story short, when I took off the magazine tube, I found that same number properly stamped on the bottom of the barrel.  

Weird.  But "comforting" in that I found what I was looking for.   

Interestingly enough, the registration form has an MIL in front of the number that is not in either place.  No idea where the dealer got that from.  Oh well.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Does anyone know if there is any way to check the serial number of a Norinco 97 shotgun to determine when it was made?

By the same token, does anyone know WHERE the serial number is located on their Trenchgun?  I can't find it.  All that's left for me to do is find a big long screwdriver to take the shoulder stock off and see of it's hidden by it.

The trench gun serial is stamped on the forward most edge of the receiver on the flat where the barrel and mag tube go into the receiver 

18 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The first two numbers indicate the year the receiver was made 02 2002, 04 2004, there’s 06’s 08’s 09’s and CB came around 2014-15 I bought

CB-00002 from Johnny Meadows 

This is the type of serial number on my 93/97, but not on the Trenchgun.  No two digit prefix.

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Probably starts with MIL

The Massachusetts registration form does have an MIL in front of the 4 numbers.  But on the gun itself, just the 4 numbers as described above with no prefix.  No idea where the MIL came from on the form. 

Archived