SASS Wire Forum

Hodgdon's Perfect Pattern Data?

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Hodgdon has data on-line already for both "new" powders, mostly for target clays type loads.  IE, 1 and 1 1/8 ounce lead shot loads.  See their web site!

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

High Gun is of course exactly the SAME powder as TiteGroup.   So at long last Hodgdon has decided that TG is a fine powder for shotgun loads.

Cowboy level loads are rarely if ever published by Hodgdon.   Alliant has done a few in the past, but of course they won't publish loads for Hodgdon powders.

You will be on you own if you read on.

14-15 grains of Perfect Pattern with 7/8 ounce of shot and a tall wad (like the Pink colored CB-0175) MIGHT be able to make you a 12 gauge load in Win AAs and Rem STS hulls that will crimp well without having to resort to padding the component stack with some sort of filler.  And you MIGHT be able to back the shot down to a lower weight....I have not yet tried.

good luck, GJ

We're shooting PP this week using a 16 powder die in a MEC. It's about 13.7 gr. with a grey Claybuster wad, Remington hulls and 7/8 oz. shot. The crimp is straight with a bit of a depression in the crimp. Takes down knockdowns fine with low recoil. A smaller powder die is not consistent from the few shells I've reloaded. I've just tapped the keg, so this is my first efforts. I would welcome other input.

2 hours ago, Go West said:

a 16 powder die in a MEC

That would be called a #16 powder bushing.  So that others know what to order, too.    And I applaud your mention of the WEIGHT of powder you are using, because different people pulling the handle and different loaders (especially between a single-stage and a progressive loader) make for a wide variety powder weights from a single bushing size.   A #16 may work for you, where I could need a 432 for a Hornady or RCBS press, too.  Or a #18 for my MEC Grabber.  Bushing sizes are the most  non-uniform way to specify a shotgun charge.

good luck, GJ

Archived