SASS Wire Forum

The continuing saga of my CZ Sharp Tail shotgun

I thought about that, too.  I believe that when you break open the gun, the geometry of the camming action of the cocking rods causes the hammers to rotate rearward faster than the barrels rotate away from the breech face.  Remember that the barrels and firing pins are simultaneously moving in opposite directions relative to the receiver; I do not think it is possible for the spent shell to get hung up on the firing pins.  And now having shot 23 test shells plus a full five-stage match (in which, sadly, I shot more than 20 shells), I have yet to experience a single malfunction or issue of any kind. 

8 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

I have a question, I have the same gun and have done some work on it to smooth it up, if I shorten my rods to the point your photo shows my firing pin is actually now sticking out into the barrel chamber once the gun is fired and I believe it would drag for at least a short period as the barrel was opened, did you try clay in your primer pockets of a couple of shells to see if your firing pins were fully retracted ? I’m sure there’s a lot of difference in these guns that’s why I’m asking

Is the FP issue from dry firing?

How goes it when you live fire?

I don’t have any problem with my CZ at all other than I would like it to hang open a little bit more and I know shortening the rods will do that, I also know that my firing pins will protrude if the hammers rest on them at all and might actually drag as the gun is opened depending on how fast the cams start to force the cocking rods backwards, based on Nostrums final pictures im sure my gun would drag the firing pins but I know guns are different and his probably clear just fine but I wanted to ask and see since he had literally “ been there, done that”

Unfortunately (or fortunately, because I live where it has hit at least 100F every day for nearly six weeks), I will be out of country for the next 4 weeks.  If I was home, I would take some close-up photos of what happens (looking sideways) at the breech face just as the barrels are breaking open.

I just wanted to chime in to say thank you and your instructions were perfect Nostrum Damus! I finally have this shotgun running exactly how I wanted it from the get go. It took a looooong time to carefully grind them down but it was worth the effort. You're definitely right about how the increments are INCREDIBLY small that make a huge difference. I have it so it has the TINIEST amount of overtravel and I feel like I'm way too close to go any further, but when I test it with everything assembled I don't notice it at all. 

Mine also runs the way I wish it ran from the factory, too.  I just don't understand why CZ-USA doesn't sell it this way, out of the box.  What is the point of needing to break the gun open over your thigh?  What is the point of those ridiculously heavy hammer springs?  What is the point of ALL OF THAT HAMMER OVER-TRAVEL?  It is a well-made beautiful shotgun, much nicer than a lot of other Turkish-made guns these days, but OMG is was difficult to use right out of the box.

Archived