SASS Wire Forum

Colt grips

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

What do you mean by "extended grips?"

If you just want bigger grips, 1860 grips will fit on an SAA.

Of course, Colt doesn't make the 1860 anymore.   I don't know how interchangable 1st Gen 1860 grips will work with a 3rd Gen SAA.

Perhaps some clone grips will fit.   Pietta 1860's fit on my Armi San Marco SAA.   You'd probably have to experiment somehow.

Tex,

In the past...Sent Henry Lance grip frames.  He was Able to then fashion extended grips for my pistolas...Colt grips are all over the board size wise, as pointed out by Dave...Joe Perkins also comes to mind for Colts

Regards

TR

13 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just  to illustrate what I mentioned before about 1860 grips on an SAA Army frame...

BigIronWithArizonaRangerBadge.thumb.jpg.40db7b8e422dd10a0df67b3b178463db.jpg

(I wonder if this scares Texas Red?)

I have a couple of Uberti 1873s with the 1860 grip.  I I want to do the same with the Colts.  I did try one of the Uberti 1860 grips on a Colt once, but the fit wasn't right although it came close.

1 hour ago, Texas Red said:

I'm Quaking in my Boots....Big Iron on his Hip...Down in Agua Fria...

TR

Give that man a cigar!

I based this on the description of the pistol that inspired the song on Wikipedia.   The description there has changed a few times since I made this, but I still like it.   About the only things that have remained constant in the Wiki description are Great Western Revolver and 1860 Colt grips.   The "cut down rifle barrel" has gone from unspecified to Marlin to Winchester, and from 10 to 12 inches.  It never said if it was round or octagon, so I went with octagon.  The caliber has gone to .44 Magnum. 

I know someone who has seen the original pistol, and it has been confirmed to me as having a round barrel, and being in .44 Magnum.  Mine, is a .45 with Rossi 92 barrel at just under 10 inches.  So it's not an exact copy, but close enough for my enjoyment.

I have shot a clean match using it.  :)

Archived