SASS Wire Forum

Uberti yellowboy rear sight

Doc Huckleberry

Just picked up a Yellowboy in .45 Colt.   I’m intrigued by the  rear sight - what are the approximate ranges for the lowest and highest notches on the leaf and the purpose of the rather large aperture in the taller part of the leaf.  My (very uninformed) guess is rapid acquisition peep.    Thanks for your input - 

Doc Huckleberry 

I'm pretty sure you are describing the '66 carbine sight.  The flip up (high) notch is for longer ranges, the peep hole in that leaf is for medium range, and the short leaf is for short range.  What those actual ranges are supposed to be, I don't recall.  If you are using it for CAS, even 50 yards or more, I doubt you will ever use anything but the short one.

Got it in one, Abilene.  Was wondering if anyone knew the approximate ranges. 

My son and I are going to the local range Saturday morning, before he leaves for work and finishing up his Masters.  He wants to re-sight his slug gun and get a bit of pistol practice in.  I guess I’ll get a chance to discover the distances. 
The trial and error could be fun…

Okay.  Due to time concerns only put a few  rounds through it and didn’t bring the chronograph.  Lowest leaf was 4” low at 35 yards.  Notch at the bottom of the aperture threw about 4” high at the same range.  This off a Lead Sled. 
Obviously I must suffer through more range time…

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Pard

I took a different approach with my Yellowboy.

Had my gunsmith drill and tap the tang for a Marble tang sight. Mounted an aperture front sight for further accuracy potential.

It made a noticeable difference in the shootin’ iron’s accuracy potential.  Have read that the original Yellowboys had a reputation for accuracy, quite likely because of the heavy barrel. Believe the barrel and tubular magazine were milled from a solid piece of metal.  

Thought I’d develop a load using the rear open sight and another load for the tang sight.

That said, I’ve put total reliance on the tang sight and it’s never let me down.

Keep on the sunny!

Adios 

Fort Reno Kid 

1 hour ago, Fort Reno Kid said:

....  Have read that the original Yellowboys had a reputation for accuracy, quite likely because of the heavy barrel. Believe the barrel and tubular magazine were milled from a solid piece of metal.  ...

That is the 1860 Henry you are thinking of.  The '66 (Yellowboy) has separate barrel and mag tube, same as the '73.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an 1866 rifle with the ladder type sight.

Since I was only using it for CAS and shorter ranges, I followed advice and replaced it with a Buckhorn sight from Nate Kiowa Jones. 

Served me well for many years.

Archived