SASS Wire Forum

Secrets Of The Castle

Sedalia Dave

That was quite interesting. But there were a couple things that just jumped out at me.

That woman with the straw hat, that somehow got in every shot of that video, apparently had never held a tool in her hand before in her life.

And they commented how the carpenters would draw on the floor because parchment was so expensive and paper was almost nonexistent. Where'd they get them nice carpenter pencils at? Just seem to slide right over that. B)

Fascinating. I watched 1/2 of it. I will watch the remainder later. 

Thank you Dave. :)

Something I was pondering while watching this is, what job would I have ended up with back then? I grew up in a working family. My Dad was a General Contractor and a Jack of all trades. He taught me carpentry, masonry, painting, plumbing, some landscaping, tree trimming, furniture refinishing, land clearing and I cut and split lots of firewood. 

Out of all the jobs I saw, if I lived back then, I think I would have migrated towards woodsman / timber cutter even though other jobs would be up my alley, but years of only doing one trade would probably bore me to tears. In the woods, one makes their own time. You’re away from all the people, noise and drama. You have birds and animals as distractions from the hard work. One could also hunt when not engaged in the work. 

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

That was quite interesting. But there were a couple things that just jumped out at me.

That woman with the straw hat, that somehow got in every shot of that video, apparently had never held a tool in her hand before in her life.

And they commented how the carpenters would draw on the floor because parchment was so expensive and paper was almost nonexistent. Where'd they get them nice carpenter pencils at? Just seem to slide right over that. B)

Her name is Ruth Goodman. She is a historian that specializes in 13h century French history.  She along with archaeologists Peter Ginn and Tom Pinfold. have been with the project of over 20 years. Some of the other people in the video have also been part of the project for years. While others come and go. 

Guédelon Castle is not a reconstruction nor is it a copy of an existing castle. Rather it is an unique design based on the architecture of 13th century France.

My French Life: Guédelon Castle

In the heart of the forest of Puisaye in Yonne, Burgundy, a team of fifty people are building a castle using the very same techniques, tools and materials used in the Middle Ages. The site was chosen because of an abundance of construction materials: an abandoned stone quarry in a large forest, close to a pond.

Guédelon castle was designed according to the architectural model developed during the 12th and 13th centuries by Philip II of France. When completed in the 2020s, it should be an authentic recreation of a 13th century medieval castle.

Guédelon castle exemplifies experimental archaeology, a hands-on approach of testing methods to rediscover forgotten techniques. It enables academics to experiment and learn the old skills, rather than relying on theories and models. 

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Her name is Ruth Goodman. She is a historian that specializes in 13h century French history

I'm sure she's an excellent historian. But watching her attempting to chop that tree down. :lol::lol:

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Guédelon Castle

Some pictures

What the site looked like in 2000

the site on 2020

They estimate another 10 years before the project is completed.

Your 2020 pics aren't showing up.

Archived