SASS Wire Forum

Ode to my .44-40 Marlin 1894 CLTD (Century Limited)

Tuolumne Lawman 6127

In my 28 years of SASS, I have used two rifles for 85-90% of the time:  An 1860 Henry (of which I have had 5 or 6 through the years) and Marlin .44-40 Century Limited (of which I have owned three). I try other guns for main match rifles, but always come back to these.  In fact my current main match rifles are BOTH a HRA 1860 Henry and Marlin Century Limited, both in .44-40.  The Henry is for style points, and goes well with pair of 1860 .44 Colt cartridge conversions and my persona a lawman in the California Gold Fields in the early 1870s..

The .44-40 Century, however is faster, smoother, and even a tad more accurate.  It IS more fun to shoot than the 1860, which requires you to mind your Ps and Qs, and concentrate to fight the 8 pound billet barrel! The 1894 Century's  beautiful engraved and Doug Turnbull color case hardened receiver and lever, slender 24" tapered octagonal barrel, along with its hand chequered figured walnut furniture makes it a beauty to look at.  It is slick and fast, and superbly accurate, easily breaking clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm from a casual rest.  Besides sharing my main matches with the 1860, the Marlin Century is my go-to rifle for Wild Bunch shooting.  I can always count on shooting all my rifle targets clean with the Century.

Ten days ago,  I went to "Peaceful's End of Track" annual match at Railroad Flat, CA,  Three day of Cowboy Action shooting at its best.   I used my .44-40 Marlin Century Limited for side matches and one day of main match (the other day using my HRA 1860 Henry .44-40).

In the long range "Quigley, pistol caliber rifle" side match, I landed 10 out of 10 - shooting off-hand at 100 yards, on a 12" steel plate, in just a fraction over 20 seconds.  That gave me second place with first being 10/10 in 18.9 seconds.

The next day, I shot clean on all 60 of my main match rifle targets with the Century.  The second day of the main match, I used my 1860, though I really think if I had used the much faster Century the second day, instead of having switched to the slower 1860 Henry, I might have pulled second in my "Elder Statesman" (70+) category, rather than third.

My magic .44-40 load for the Century is either a Bear Creek moly coated .428" 205 grain or Stateline 205 .428", over 7.0 grains Trail Boss. 7.0 grains of Unique, performs about as well, too.  It is flat shooting, (hence the 10/10 on the 12" steel plate, off-hand at 100 yards).  I raised the rear sight one notch from my standard match position.

EOtrack22.jpeg

Century.jpg

ctld3.jpeg

ctld2.jpeg

ctld5.jpeg

ctld4.jpeg

I also had an 1889 Marlin in 44 WCF.  It had a .44 cal bullet hole in the comb of the stock from front to rear!  It must have just missed the 1889 shooter's face!  Bore was terrible, but it was still a great shooter with the deep Ballard cut rifling.

I bought a Cowboy Limited .44-40 locally a few years ago, and somebody had replaced the original wood with a smooth uncheckered fore end and a crescent butt stock, go figure. 

7 hours ago, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

I also had an 1889 Marlin in 44 WCF.  It had a .44 cal bullet hole in the comb of the stock from front to rear!  It must have just missed the 1889 shooter's face!  Bore was terrible, but it was still a great shooter with the deep Ballard cut rifling.

142102274_ColtFSSMarlin1889Colt1878(1).jpg.cd63f7e1664d1641dac2d3ce9990bfbb.jpg

It's a real cowboy gun. Colt 1878 10 gauge an Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1883 year.

Shot it last month in a match. Good bore.  Shoots well but not slick as 1894 with spring kit.

The 1894 Century Limited had the receiver engraved by Botega Giovanelli and the real bone color case hardening was done by Doug Turnbull.

Archived