SASS Wire Forum

Found! .45 Colt barrel for 1866 Yellowboy Carbine

DeaconKC

Looking for a 19" round barrel for an 1866 Uberti carbine. Turns out mine has a bulged barrel, so need a replacement to have a back up in 45. Thanks

Still looking. Say do the 66 and 73 use the same barrels?

Yes, same barrels.  BTW, where is the bulge and have you shot it?  My .357 '73 carbine has had two bulges near the center of the bore for years and always shot just fine.

Edit: the rifle barrels are the same p/n for most calibers (except '66 .38 vs. '73 .357 chamber for example).  But carbine barrels are different p/n for '66 and '73.  I think they are essentially the same but might have the rear sight dovetail in a different location, and in some cases the '66 barrel has (or used to have, anyway), a rounded, semi-circle front sight vs. the pointier '73 carbine sight.

• DeaconKC changed the title to Found! .45 Colt barrel for 1866 Yellowboy Carbine
23 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Yes, same barrels.  BTW, where is the bulge and have you shot it?  My .357 '73 carbine has had two bulges near the center of the bore for years and always shot just fine.

Edit: the rifle barrels are the same p/n for most calibers (except '66 .38 vs. '73 .357 chamber for example).  But carbine barrels are different p/n for '66 and '73.  I think they are essentially the same but might have the rear sight dovetail in a different location, and in some cases the '66 barrel has (or used to have, anyway), a rounded, semi-circle front sight vs. the pointier '73 carbine sight.

Yup, @Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 had a great idea and I went to Boomstick, he is here at CAC, and he has a wallhanger that he can swap the barrels on! So I will now have a 66 for a back up rifle. Thanks again guys.

Archived