SASS Wire Forum

EoT Attendance

Captain Bill Burt

Might try discussing the SASS Scholarship opportunities with your school administration.  Participating for the potential of earning a scholarship is generally viewed completely different than a vacation sporting event.  Worked for us way back in the late 90's up to 2000 when my oldest son, Brock Holliday, was competing as a junior.  Thankfully, he was one of the first SASS Scholarship recipients and graduated as the Salutatorian of his class, went on to complete his degree in Accounting at UGA and now runs a very successful education software support company.  I too have been in the education business as well for over 35 years.  

Student question,= I'm going to be gone next week am I going to miss anything? Teacher no I have decided to do nothing next week. 

Parent= how come my child received a 0 for 3 assignments they were absent? Teacher- the assignments were due last month! Students are required to make up all absent work in a timely manner. 

Parent= my child failed the unit test said you didn't teach that! 

Teacher = we covered this information on x week. 

Parent- my child was gone that week! 

Teacher- thinking right I should have stopped teaching my other 125 students  because you took your child out of school. 

Yes there are students that can miss time and are responsible enough to make up the work  but the majority don't/won't.  And yes there are parents who will make sure that the child will make all the work up but there are more that don't. 

CBB, sorry you're getting such grief with this. When Raindrop and I went to WR back in '17, we went and talked to her principal and told him exactly what she would  be doing and yes, that they had scholarship opportunities as well. Maybe a rare case, but he thought it was great and she was allowed to do some work in advance. No, the days were not excused, but we were very careful about the days she missed and knew it would not be over "the limit" they impose on them. It was a great experience and I would not change it for anything. Oh yeah, folks dote on the young'uns. Best of luck.

Archived