SASS Wire Forum

Not the original, but close enough!

Reckon I'm just a sentimental sort.

I'd previously shared my late daughter's model 10 Smith -- nothing at all remarkable, save only that it belonged to my little girl, she who came bouncing up the sidewalk after she fired qualification and announced -- covered in equal parts of triumph, sunburn and mosquito bites -- that she'd outshot her entire qualification class!

I was able to get another unremarkable revolver, something of significance to ... well, to me.

Victory model Smith, bored out by a London firm to admit .38 Specials, for post-war resale across the pond to American shooters.

Common.

Big yawn.

So what?

Well, y'see, Willamina's father was named Ted ... but the real Ted wasn't named Keller, the very real Trimble marshal who was killed in the line of duty, had the last name of Holcomb.

Like Willamina's father in a recent entry, he carried a victory model Smith; he pulled his car crossways of the highway to stop a fleeing felon, he got off one shot before he was rammed, he died as he was being rolled at a dead run from ER into surgery, and very likely he never saw the one shot he got off, hit the windshield right in front of the onrushing felon's face.

His wife was my squad partner and one of the best paramedics I ever worked with.

Her husband's ghost would visit our station; there was a squeaky board in front of the bunkroom ... but you've heard me talk about Ted's ghost before.

I have a ratty old revolver that my little girl used, and now I have a victory model like the one Ted used.

Not terribly valuable, little if any collector's value ... but it is meaningful to me.

Ted's Revolver.jpg

Ted's Revolver 2.jpg

9 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Victory Models in my opinion are much underrated. Who know what that piece did when it as still chambered in .380-200.  A piece of history for sure. 

Seamus

It's like many artifacts I've held ...

I really, really wish I could get it to talk!

18 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I'd previously shared my late daughter's model 10 Smith -- nothing at all remarkable, save only that it belonged to my little girl, she who came bouncing up the sidewalk after she fired qualification and announced -- covered in equal parts of triumph, sunburn and mosquito bites -- that she'd outshot her entire qualification class!

I was able to get another unremarkable revolver, something of significance to ... well, to me.

Victory model Smith, bored out by a London firm to admit .38 Specials, for post-war resale across the pond to American shooters.

Common.

Big yawn.

So what?

Well, y'see, Willamina's father was named Ted ... but the real Ted wasn't named Keller, the very real Trimble marshal who was killed in the line of duty, had the last name of Holcomb.

Like Willamina's father in a recent entry, he carried a victory model Smith; he pulled his car crossways of the highway to stop a fleeing felon, he got off one shot before he was rammed, he died as he was being rolled at a dead run from ER into surgery, and very likely he never saw the one shot he got off, hit the windshield right in front of the onrushing felon's face.

His wife was my squad partner and one of the best paramedics I ever worked with.

Her husband's ghost would visit our station; there was a squeaky board in front of the bunkroom ... but you've heard me talk about Ted's ghost before.

I have a ratty old revolver that my little girl used, and now I have a victory model like the one Ted used.

Not terribly valuable, little if any collector's value ... but it is meaningful to me.

Ted's Revolver.jpg

Ted's Revolver 2.jpg

Great story behind that gun! Thanks for sharing.

Archived