SASS Wire Forum

FS-Leather stitcher

Grass Range

For sale- Slightly used Tippman leather stitcher. This is the "Boss" model that is hand operated. I bought it used 10 years ago and never tried it and probably never will so I am selling it. Very handy for small leather projects like I see advertised on this site. All needed assessories, VCR tape, manual, etc. included. This is a quality machine. $1000

MVC-001F.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Met the seller, Grass Range this morning, closed the sale  and picked up the machine.  They were early, everything went smoothly and useful extra accessories were included.  Nice folks.  Looking forward to ending most hand sewing on my leather work.  I know my way mechanically around guns fairly well, and though the machine came with instructions and a VHS (Yes, I still have one connected) delighted my Wife speaks fluent Sewing machine! 

Rip,

I still own one of these machines, although I have since moved on to copy of a Juki electric powered saddle machine.

The Boss is a decent machine.  Three big things I remember from using this machine:

1.  If you start dropping stitches, install a new needle.  A sharp newer needle will solve many issues.

2. Keep an eye on your stitch length.  I remember having to adjust that often, depending on the thickness of the leather I was sewing.

3. I had better success sewing with a slightly thinner thread on the bobbin than what I was using on the main spool.  If you're running 277 on top, I'd consider running a 207 on the bobbin.  Some will say that this is not necessary, but it was a tip I received from a very experienced saddle maker and it has helped me have fewer issues over the years.  

Good luck with your "new to you" machine!

15 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Rip,

I still own one of these machines, although I have since moved on to copy of a Juki electric powered saddle machine.

The Boss is a decent machine.  Three big things I remember from using this machine:

1.  If you start dropping stitches, install a new needle.  A sharp newer needle will solve many issues.

2. Keep an eye on your stitch length.  I remember having to adjust that often, depending on the thickness of the leather I was sewing.

3. I had better success sewing with a slightly thinner thread on the bobbin than what I was using on the main spool.  If you're running 277 on top, I'd consider running a 207 on the bobbin.  Some will say that this is not necessary, but it was a tip I received from a very experienced saddle maker and it has helped me have fewer issues over the years.  

Good luck with your "new to you" machine!

Thank you kindly! Very much appreciate the info.  Am in the process of trying to get a base, Tippmann is OOS at the moment.  In the mean time, clean, lube, and see if I can get it to work clamped or bolted on the end of my loading bench.  I have drifted in and out of leatherwork since HS.  Got this because I was tired of hand sewing.  If this works reasonably well, I'll be good.  No commercial intent.  I've sold off holster rigs in the past, but they had all been made for me and usually went with guns.

I have my Boss mounted on a Black & Decker workbench that I bought for $15 at an estate sale.  I see them at almost every estate sale or yard sale I go to.

Amazon.com: BLACK+DECKER Portable Work Bench and Vise (WM225-A) : Tools & Home Improvement

4 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I have my Boss mounted on a Black & Decker workbench that I bought for $15 at an estate sale.  I see them at almost every estate sale or yard sale I go to.

Amazon.com: BLACK+DECKER Portable Work Bench and Vise (WM225-A) : Tools & Home Improvement

Wonderful! Got one out in the garage.  If out paths ever cross, at the least I owe you a couple of adult beverages!

Archived