SASS Wire Forum

Another Meth Topic

Yul Lose

I don’t want to hijack the imbibe meth topic but thought some of you might enjoy another meth story. Back around 1989-90 I was part owner and general manager of a two-way radio sales, service and mountaintop communication sites business in north San Diego County. One of our sales ladies came in one day with a fairly large sale to an outfit that manufactured, sold and delivered soil amendments “ magic soil amendments” to avocado and citrus farming operations. Come installation time we were short handed so I installed the base station. While I was doing the install, Gus the owner was telling me all about his magic soil amendments. He’d buy cow manure from dairy farmers from around San Diego county (before all of the dairy farmers fled) and truck it to a big fenced yard near the Wild Animal Park (now Safari Park) east of Escondido. The trucks would dump it there and a legitimate looking packaging operation made it look legitimate. 

His brochure had a leprechaun waving a magic wand over a pile of cow manure. What made his cow manure so magic you ask? Ephedrine. Gus told me that he bought ephedrine by the 55 gallon drum in truckload quantities. I wasn’t to up on meth production back then but from what little I knew I didn’t think that was possible but that’s what he said. He also showed me a bunch of pictures of a yacht that he owned down at the Shelter Island Marina.

Well the radios got installed and wouldn’t you know it his check bounced. When I called him about it he told me it was a case of using the wrong account and he would write a new one. I sent the sales woman who did the deal to pick up the new check and it bounced too. Gus and I really got into it over the phone and I demanded the radios back and he refused. One of my installers was listening to my side of the conversation and when I got off the phone he told me that the trucks were parked out at the yard at night and he knew how to get in through a side gate. We probably shouldn’t have done it but there were about $9,000.00 worth of radios involved. So on a Sunday night when we knew the trucks would be parked the installer and I got into all of the trucks and pulled all of the two-way radios. We left the mounting brackets, wiring and antennas but came away with the radios.

He called the shop the next morning asking about the radios and I told him I didn’t know anything about them. A competitor called a couple of days later and asked me about the guy and I told him that he bounces checks. They sold him new radios and got burned too:D.

Anyway a few months later there was a story on the news and in the newspaper about Gus and his brother being arrested at the Las Vegas airport with a whole bunch of cooked meth that they had in their carry on luggage. Turns out the packaging building was also part meth lab. Gus had a 19-20 year old son that got busted too and if I remember correctly he got 20 years and Gus got life.

They must have been using heavily if they were selling meth and bouncing checks.  It can be quite profitable if you don't smoke up all the profits, if a rival organization doesn't kill you, and if the cops don't get you.  

20 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

They must have been using heavily if they were selling meth and bouncing checks.  It can be quite profitable if you don't smoke up all the profits, if a rival organization doesn't kill you, and if the cops don't get you.  

I never could figure out why the checks bounced, unless he was afraid to deposit the money in a bank. Why didn’t he pay cash for the radios? My wife reminded me this morning that the DEA came to the shop after his arrest and told us that they had watched us “reposess “ the radios because they had had the yard under surveillance. I had forgotten about that.

About ten years ago we had some drywall work done on our house. The guy was quite thorough, taping all the doors and such to contain the dust.  His work was top notch until...

He finished the work on a Friday afternoon. As he was cleaning up, being very careful to contain and control dust, his girlfriend showed up to help him finish.  She was clearly a meth head and immediately picked up a broom and just started swishing it around on the floor as if she was “helping”, but causing the mess to fly everywhere. 

We jumped in with the guy to get the job done and them out of the house, never letting her out of our eyesight. 

I met him at his truck and paid him with a check. The girl was clearly in withdrawals by this stage. She said that their bank was closed by now and that she needed to buy “groceries”. Could I pay part of their fee in cash, preferably $20 bills?

It was sad, but not uncommon in the area. 

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I never could figure out why the checks bounced, unless he was afraid to deposit the money in a bank. Why didn’t he pay cash for the radios? My wife reminded me this morning that the DEA came to the shop after his arrest and told us that they had watched us “reposess “ the radios because they had had the yard under surveillance. I had forgotten about that.

All this and good looking women chasing you?  Yul, you have an exciting life.  :D

Archived