SASS Wire Forum

Military question

Alpo

If your husband is on active duty, you are a dependent, with an ID card and commissary privileges and hospital privileges and all that happy horse kaka.

But if your husband is killed while on active duty, do you remain a dependent? I presume that if you do remain a dependent, that would only last up until the time you remarried (if you did).

Okay second question.

You live in base housing. The service member (I started to say "your husband", but these days it could be the wife) is deployed overseas.

Do you still live in base housing or do they make you go somewhere else?

You say killed in line of duty, to be precise there is death due to hostile action and death in line of duty. First would be death in combat. The second would be a pilot on routine flight crashes landing on carrier deck during a routine flight, or a soldier whose MOS is electrician is electrocuted doing his job installing electrical panel.

If the family is living in on post, or on base housing they are given up to 365 days to vacate if death was line of duty.. Earlier leaving and they military pays housing pay for remainder of time.  I believe the death benefit is 55% of base pay paid to spouse until he/she is 62 when it is reduced to 35%.  The death benefit is $12420 if on active duty and 100K if killed in hostile action. The various benefits are much longer than I can take the time to try to remember and write here.

A military spouse is a military spouse, regardless of where the military member is serving. 

If the family is in base housing, they will stay if the member deploys. 

Imagine the economic hardship with forcing a family to move.  When I was serving, I had people working for me who were entitled to food stamps. Think about that. The service member might be required to put his or her life on the line, and they weren’t even being paid enough to make it without food stamps. 

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Okay second question.

You live in base housing. The service member (I started to say "your husband", but these days it could be the wife) is deployed overseas.

Do you still live in base housing or do they make you go somewhere else?

You stay there.  The service member is assigned to that post / base and so their family resides there.  Deployment is a temporary (albeit, sometimes 15 months, but temporary nonetheless!) condition and their permanent duty station is still their post / base of origin to which they will return after the deployment.

8 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

You say killed in line of duty, to be precise there is death due to hostile action and death in line of duty. First would be death in combat. The second would be a pilot on routine flight crashes landing on carrier deck during a routine flight, or a soldier whose MOS is electrician is electrocuted doing his job installing electrical panel.

If the family is living in on post, or on base housing they are given up to 365 days to vacate if death was line of duty.. Earlier leaving and they military pays housing pay for remainder of time.  I believe the death benefit is 55% of base pay paid to spouse until he/she is 62 when it is reduced to 35%.  The death benefit is $12420 if on active duty and 100K if killed in hostile action. The various benefits are much longer than I can take the time to try to remember and write here.

I believe you are talking about the Survivor Benefit Plan, for spouses of retired service members. 

Here’s death benefit info:

Military death benefits

11 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Pard, your information is decades outdated.  SGLI is $400,000.

Archived