SASS Wire Forum

Practicing with a Timer

Crusty Knees

8 hours ago, Kirk James said:

Once I can complete a training session time consistently,  being as honest as possible that my sights are on each target, I set the par time 1/2 to 1 second faster than my baseline.  If I am not making progress I get help from faster shooters.    

Kirk, I think this 'hits the nail on the head'.    Great advice and practice technique.

Always strive for a time faster than what we think we are capable.   

..........Widder

First and foremost have fun and don’t stress yourself chasing anyone’s times. Find your own rhythm and work down til it goes from clean to sloppy. Be sure to be honest with yourself. Gotta pretend those misses still count. So aim like you mean it. Try different sweeps as well. Dry fire practice of running a full stage from a table will do wonders for your transitions under the real clock. If you can, set up your phone to record some video of your runs, give it a shot. You may find yourself with some goofy habits you never knew were happening...well I know I sure did :lol:

I strive for smooth first. No jerky motion, no panic movement, no spastic antics. It's all about muscle memory and what the memorized sight picture is in your brain. I also try and breath as well. If you hold your breath you'd better shoot fast, if you don't want to pass out. 

I'll never be fast, but if I stay smooth I can stay in the game as I get old(er) and more arthritic. But then, I shoot so I can have brass to reload. And I shoot Cowboy for the socializing. 

My par would be about 45 seconds. 

Archived