SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on types of snap caps?

Stormy_LaSalle

Hey guys,

I am curious on ones thoughts on snap caps. I have always used A-Zoom aluminum type snap caps but I have been seeing more and more "real" bullets with the same weight that you shoot and red rubber for the primer.

I would assume the rubber one would be kinder to the firing pin? Whats everyone using? I dry fire a ton for USPSA and expect the same for CAS. Those hammers will drop 500x before my first match.

Thanks for reading!

Several people use silicone sealant in the primer pocket. I found that a hard rubber o'ring lasts longer than silicone. You want Bura-N 70 or even better Bura-N 90 o'ring material is easy to get and holds up well.

Small Pistol/rifle  primers use 5 mm diameter

Large Pistol/rifle  primers use 5.7 mm diameter

Shotgun primers use 6 mm or 1/4" diameter

For pistol and rifle primers drill out the pocket slightly under size. 3/16" works well for large primers and 5/32" for small.

For rifle and pistol, insert the o'ring into the pocket until a small portion is sticking into the case. Trim flush with a razor blade.

Now fill the case with fine walnut polishing media so that when the bullet is seated you get about 3/16" compression. Then seat and crimp the bullet. By filling the case with media it helps keep the bullets from moving back into the case with repeated use in your rifle.

For shotgun shells, resize the hull with a collet style sizer. The stuff the hull with a plastic grocery bag. Pack it in good and tight till it is full to the fold line. Cut off any excess and then crimp the hull.  Now push in the o'ring as far as you can and cut flush with a razor blade.    

Hi Stormy,

I used to use A-Zoom snap caps but read on this wire years ago that the hard aluminum snap caps will put unnecessary wear on your rifles metal extractor.  It was better to use brass in your rifle -- its softer.

I use A-Zoom snap caps in my revolvers and snap caps from Unique-Tek, Inc. in my shotgun.  

If I were to use snap-caps in my rifle; I would look into making them out of brass.  

Mo

I loaded up 10 rounds with no powder or primer and used cut down mechanical pencil erasers with a dab of CA in the primer pocket. Since I use only natural brass cases for match ammo, I made these with nickel cases to keep them visually different. Gives me a 5 round load for both pistols or a full 10 for the '73. One advantage is it's a good rifle function check for your reloads. Been using them almost two years and the original eraser pieces are still good. 

One thing you can do with rifle snap caps is to file down a section of the rim Insert the case into your rifle so that this filed down part is located where your extractor is. this way you can dry fire without having to constantly pickup ejected rounds or keep reloading the magazine.

For the Rifle take a A-Zoom and Machine a groove For a "O" ring for tight Fit in the Chamber Then cut-off part of the Rim it stays in the chamber ...

Then dry-fire to your hearts content ....

Jabez Cowboy

On 5/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, Doc X said:

I loaded up 10 rounds with no powder or primer and used cut down mechanical pencil erasers with a dab of CA in the primer pocket. Since I use only natural brass cases for match ammo, I made these with nickel cases to keep them visually different. Gives me a 5 round load for both pistols or a full 10 for the '73. One advantage is it's a good rifle function check for your reloads. Been using them almost two years and the original eraser pieces are still good. 

Yes differentiating between the brass and nickel was a good call. Never would have thought of pencil erasers, genius!

22 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

One thing you can do with rifle snap caps is to file down a section of the rim Insert the case into your rifle so that this filed down part is located where your extractor is. this way you can dry fire without having to constantly pickup ejected rounds or keep reloading the magazine.

Thanks for the tip!

Archived