SASS Wire Forum

DIY Colt SAA Hammer cam replacement. Part 2 video added

Warden Callaway

I got a good deal on my latest old Colt SAA because the action had problems.  The gun store owner had no way of figuring out what was wrong and I'm sure he wasn't interested in sending it out for repair.   I took a gamble that I could get it fixed without adding a lot of cost.  It turned out there was only one small part that caused the whole problem. The part was the cam on the hammer being warn so the leg on the bolt would slide off insted of lowering the bolt.  I used a new cam stud from Pietta that I got from Dixie Gun Works.

Stay tuned for Part 2,  the happy ending.  

Warden always has good stuff to do and very nice of him to share with this Cowboy and I am sure lots of others feel the same.

Thanks again Warden Callaway.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

WC, you could have just punched the cam out from the back side and bypassed the grinding step. (But then again you would've missed the fun of using the Dremel !!)

Of course I watched again and I missed the part about the possibility of some Weld being involved the first time (wasn't trying to be a Smarty).

Mike

1 hour ago, 45 Dragoon said:

WC, you could have just punched the cam out from the back side and bypassed the grinding step. (But then again you would've missed the fun of using the Dremel !!)

Of course I watched again and I missed the part about the possibility of some Weld being involved the first time (wasn't trying to be a Smarty).

Mike

I referenced the Colt book by Jerry Kuhnhausen.  Based on this experience,  going in from the back is good idea.  I'd use the Dremel tool to cut out the rivet area and maybe more.  I'm finding Colt parts to be much harder than Uberti or Pietta.  But I think that's common knowledge. 

48 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Great video Warden!  What I enjoy about your videos is you show folks how you fix things using tools that many home hobbyists have available to them.  

I looked on YouTube for a video that showed this procedure and found none.  I tried to show at least some live video of each step while keeping things moving along. Setting up the camera and working around takes a lot more time and is awkward.  If something goes wrong, most often there is no way to just do over.  It takes me about one hour of editing to make a minute of video.  Just the raw video would contain a lot of dead space. I clip out as much dead crap as I can.  Other places I speed up the video to reduce time.  This 10 minute video was taken probably 30 minutes of video.

I have part 2 roughed out.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have it ready to publish.  I started out adding to what is part 1 but it was going to be really long.  So since there was an obvious "break" point,  I decided to make two videos. 

Archived